Deep Shadows And Brilliant Highlights Review

HIM: Deep Shadows And Brilliant Highlights
Released: Mar 26, 2002
Genre: Rock
Styles: Adult Alternative Pop/Rock, Goth Rock
The songs lack hooks, the sound is just way too clean, and as the highlights ("In Joy And Sorrow" and "Pretending") are over before the half point, as a whole Deep Shadows is utterly boring.
 9.3
 8.6
review (1) 7 comments vote for this album:
Deep Shadows And Brilliant Highlights Reviewed by: afihim, on february 11, 2005

Sound: First of all you really need to understand this band. HIM (aka His Infernal Majesty) is a unique band raging from the shores of Finland. HIM is a fantastic band with some unique talent. The use of keyboards, and great distortion from the lead and only guitar, helps. The vocals coming from frontman Ville Valo, are great. This music is classified as gothic rock, but to me a fan since about 1998-1999, I can tell you this album is different among the others. The cover like most does have a picture of Valo. The styles used in this record is looking mostly on thier softer side. But as always it sounds great. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were great. You can really feel something from this album. To me all of thier lyrics fit with the music in a wierd way. But they are most enjoyable. Depending if you have heard HIM at all, the singer has a deep voice, but it really comes out in the song "Gone With The Sin" featured on Razorblade Romance, another must get. // 10

Overall Impression: This album really fits HIM, It's softer side really get the mood going. The chicks dig this CD. The ability to be mellow and be enjoyable is very impressive about this CD. I love the instrumentals, and the way it all ties in together. I hate nothing about this CD and, I can honsetly say, I have never had the feeling to say anything negative about this band. If, I had this CD stolen or lost it, I would have a nervous breakdown, lol. No but really I would buy it again. // 10

Comments