Greatest Love Songs, Vol 666 review by HIM

• Released: Nov 20, 1997
HIM: Greatest Love Songs, Vol 666

Greatest Love Songs Vol: 666, HIMs debut album, as well as the first I've heard by the band, is an interesting piece, as well as a fresh breathe of air. The love metal theme suits the instrumental work well, with a good mix of airy and lighthearted, yet still deep and dark of mood, riff work, as well as dark, sludgy, metal tones. The sound quality it's good in comparison to many band's debut albums, and it really sets the bar for their future pieces. It also features a well played cover of Blue Oyster Cult's 'Don't Fear the Reaper'.

Lyrically, this is definate 'love metal', as the band goes on to call their music. With lyrics revolving around the ideas and concepts of love and romance: the hopeless romantic in us all can find something to draw personal influence from here. Ville's voice is amazing, being able to hit highs, but still retaining a sense of depth to it, it really drives forward the sound. He has a voice that suits every other aspect of the album. It fits the instrumental work, the guitar tones, the ambience, all of it, as well as the lyrical themes and the general vibe. I think it's in the vocal work where this albums stands out the most.

Being HIM's first album, and prior to a lot of their commercial success, this album is not a bad listen at all. it's actually completely outside of what I would normally listen to, but I've found that I really enjoy it. I might not feel the same about their later work, but this album is definately not anything to be ashamed on owning, for all you metalheads out there. Our Diabolikal Rapture stands out to me on this album. I love the sluggish, distorted, acid-rock type of guitar work, and of course I love Ville's vocal work. Also, the band's cover of Don't Fear the Reaper is really nice, giving the classic song a darker and more gothic sense of tone. There really isn't anything I dislike about the album. Like I said, it's outside of the typical stuff I listen to, but it really is a nice breathe of fresh air. I would recommend it to those looking to try something new, or those hopeless and poetic romantics amongst us all.

gynther flynt
    08. Don't Fear The Reaper - 9/10, the female vocals sound awesome with Ville, but the weird keyboard bit in the middle ruins it.
    Dude, the keyboard part in the middle is IT! It makes this song even better!