Greatest Love Songs, Vol 666 Review

HIM: Greatest Love Songs, Vol 666
Released: Nov 20, 1997
Genre: Rock
Styles: Goth Rock
Greatest Love Songs, Vol. 666 succeeds in pleasing everyone, whether they're into rock or pop.
 Lyrics: 9.3
 9.6
 9.4
 9.7
Greatest Love Songs, Vol 666 Reviewed by: pitiful_lies, on march 29, 2005

Sound: I'm not sure how to categorise HIM, there are bits from a load of different genres in their music. It's like a mix of heavy metal and gothic metal. The sound on this album is great, the guitar sounds awesome and Ville's singing is amazing too. All the weird screaming sounds and effects on "It's All Tears" sound great. 01. Your Sweet 666 - 10/10, my favourite song. 02. Wicked Game - 10/10, genius, it's amazing how something so good can come out of such a lame original. 03. The Heratless - 9/10, a slow one, very moving if you're in the right mood. 04. Our Diabolikal Rapture - 7/10, one of the weaker songs. 05. It's All Tears - 10/10, another fantastic song, the deep vocals sound great. 06. When Love And Death Embrace - 8/10, a great song but it's way too long. 07. The Beginning Of The End - 8/10, a bit droney but still great. 08. Don't Fear The Reaper - 9/10, the female vocals sound awesome with Ville, but the weird keyboard bit in the middle ruins it. 09. For You - 7/10, not the best song ever but still good. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are good, but they all follow the theme of love and death. Some of them are really deep and meaningful too, I can't be bothered to find examples. There are only 7 songs that Ville has actually written, as Wicked Game and Don't Fear The Reaper are cover versions (both better than the originals). // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, this is a great album. Although the lyrics are all about the same thing, it's presented in different ways so you don't really notice it. The one bad thing about this album is the way that after For You, there are 57 tracks of silence, just to make the number of tracks to 66 (meant to be 666). Then again, when you put the CD into your player it comes up with "66:06" which is cool. Overall, an amazing album. // 10

Greatest Love Songs, Vol 666 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 20, 2004

Sound: Amazing, it's like a mix of trash metal, but sounds melodic too. Extremely heavy, but good enough to be played on the radio. The guitaring is amazing, the vocals are deep, but work well with the darker tone of the music. They are very original, and the sound is something fresh, thats just waiting for some radio airplay. // 10

Lyrics: Seeing as their best song is a cover of Chris Issaks "Wicked Game", but valo's lyrics are deep and emotional, even if they are all about love. But the album is titeled Greatest Love Songs, so no surprise there! The lyrics don't seem to fit in with the sound, but they work perfectly, and valos deep vocals are perfect to fit in with the heavy metal sound. Great stuff. // 10

Overall Impression: I was amazed with the cd, and the 30 bucks I paid for it was so worth it. Too bad all the otehr Him cds that have come out started to go extremely poppy, with love metal being weak compared to this album. But if you are looking for something extremely fresh and innovative out there, I hope you go out and get this cd, it should be available in stores right now. seeing as they are becoming popular. A masterpiece! // 10

Greatest Love Songs, Vol 666 Reviewed by: Busproof, on december 08, 2008

Sound: Greatest Love Songs Vol: 666, HIMs debut album, as well as the first I've heard by the band, is an interesting piece, as well as a fresh breathe of air. The love metal theme suits the instrumental work well, with a good mix of airy and lighthearted, yet still deep and dark of mood, riff work, as well as dark, sludgy, metal tones. The sound quality it's good in comparison to many band's debut albums, and it really sets the bar for their future pieces. It also features a well played cover of Blue Oyster Cult's 'Don't Fear the Reaper'. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrically, this is definate 'love metal', as the band goes on to call their music. With lyrics revolving around the ideas and concepts of love and romance: the hopeless romantic in us all can find something to draw personal influence from here. Ville's voice is amazing, being able to hit highs, but still retaining a sense of depth to it, it really drives forward the sound. He has a voice that suits every other aspect of the album. It fits the instrumental work, the guitar tones, the ambience, all of it, as well as the lyrical themes and the general vibe. I think it's in the vocal work where this albums stands out the most. // 10

Overall Impression: Being HIM's first album, and prior to a lot of their commercial success, this album is not a bad listen at all. it's actually completely outside of what I would normally listen to, but I've found that I really enjoy it. I might not feel the same about their later work, but this album is definately not anything to be ashamed on owning, for all you metalheads out there. Our Diabolikal Rapture stands out to me on this album. I love the sluggish, distorted, acid-rock type of guitar work, and of course I love Ville's vocal work. Also, the band's cover of Don't Fear the Reaper is really nice, giving the classic song a darker and more gothic sense of tone. There really isn't anything I dislike about the album. Like I said, it's outside of the typical stuff I listen to, but it really is a nice breathe of fresh air. I would recommend it to those looking to try something new, or those hopeless and poetic romantics amongst us all. // 9

Comments