Razorblade Romance review by HIM

• Released: Dec 19, 1999
HIM: Razorblade Romance

HIM's sound is amazing. It is full and complete rather than having lots of rests in it. Ville's voice fits well with every song and it creates a love stricken feeling around what is mostly powerful songs. During verses bases are often used with a heavily distorted guitar at the chorus. Pic slides are used accasionally like at the start of "Right here in my arms" but then it falls into place with the rest of the songs. I love the piano tinge to songs such as "Join me","One last time" and "Poison Girl" which makes them sound more purposeful. Accoustics are sometimes used and they are usually high pitched which contrasts the low sound of the vocals.

The lyrics are all about love. However they are well places and fit the songs perfectly. I would have liked some different subjects however to stop the love sick feel to the album. Do I need to say anything about Ville's singing? It is quite simply spectacular. He can sing both high "Join me" and low "I love you (Plelude to tragedy)" which creates the different sound of the whole songs. I could not imagine a different singer in this band! But this is let down by the constant droning about love.

I buy HIM albums for the sound. It is so different from anything else I've ever heard. It is also relaxing so when you are tired and cant get to sleep put this on and it calms you down. I found this when I went to Germany (where i bought this album). As I can't get to sleep on coaches I put this on so I could conserve my srtength for the next day. Don't get the wrong impression, this album is NOT boring you into sleep but making you more relaxed which helps sleep. If you know whats best for you go out to your nearest spore and buy this album NOW!!!