Uneasy Listening, Vol. 1 review by HIM

• Released: Nov 14, 2006
HIM: Uneasy Listening, Vol. 1

I am quite surprised that no one else has reviewed this album, but I am also honored to be the first to review such a wonderful album. The album does not have very much drumming, but where it is, it is beautifully done. Quite a lot of synths in this CD, I like it because it adds a nice changed-up factor from the first few albums. Every song on this album, as most of you already know, is just a remake of the original. Of course they still sound a bit the same, but most of them just tend to be over-repetative and lengthy. One or two of the songs on this CD are pretty much the same as the original.

As all people know, Ville is an amazing singer. And a pretty awesome songwriter as well. On a few songs he does tend to over-sing, but on most tracks, he is as great as he always is. A bit of backing vocals is used, and I think they sound great. I, as an aspiring songwriter, am extremly inspired by such a great album. The lyrics are very meaningful, and sung with extreme emotion.

01. The Sacrament [Disrhythm Mix] - a very nice start to a very nice album. The piano definately prevails in this track. Ville's voice is very very beautiful here. A few added synths here and there. 02. The Funeral Of Hearts [Acoustic Version] - the acoustic sounds spectacular. 03. Join Me In Death [Strongroom Mix] - pretty much the same as the original. Wonderful background vocals in this song. Really gets the heart pumping. 04. Close To The Flame [The Rappula Tapes] - very slow beginning. I like the acoustic version of this song a bit better. The piano really brings the song to a new level. 05. In Joy And Sorrow [String Version] - an extremely amazing song! I absolutely love it. By far one of the best tracks on the whole album. 9.5/10 06. It's All Tears [Unplugged Radio Live] - I definately love this version of the song better than the original. And, although it is live, you cannot hear any background noises. 07. When Love And Death Embrace [AOR Radio Mix] - pretty much the same as the original, I don't really like it. 08. Buried Alive By Love [DeLiverance Version] - Ville over sings this song. First time I heard it I just had to turn it off. Also quite lengthy. 09. Gone With The Sin [O.D. Version] - absolutely love this song! I think it's perfect. Not too long, not too loud, just great. 10. Salt In Our Wounds [Thulsa Doom Version] - this song is a lot darker than the original. Which some people like, and other don't. But I think it's a great switch up from the original. 11. Please Don't Let It Go [Acoustic Version] - lovely song. Ville couldn't sound better. Great acoustic song. 12. One Last Time [Rockfield Madness Version] - this song is f--king great! It is a very emotional song. This version especially. Beautiful. 13. For You [Unplugged Radio Live] - I definately think this version of the song owns the original. Very well done. 14. The Path [P.S. Version] - this isn't a very good song in my opinion. It gets better half way through. Quite lengthy. But very good lyrics. 15. Lose You Tonight [Thulsa Doom Extended Dub] - a very very long song. I don't think I've actually heard the whole thing yet. Quite boring. The original is way way better. Overall, I would definately recommend this song to any HIM fan out there. It is very well put together. And you really get your money's worth with the hour and fifteen minute length. The album art is very well done. Props to the whole production crew, and especially, to the guys from HIM. This will be in my stereo for a very long time.