Uneasy Listening, Vol. 1 Review

HIM: Uneasy Listening, Vol. 1
Release Date: Nov 14, 2006
Label: Universal Republic
Genres: Goth Rock
It's not a repackaging of one album or another. This is a bona fide rarities collection.
 Lyrics: 9.7
 9.4
 9.4
 9.3
Uneasy Listening, Vol. 1 Reviewed by: YourMessiah666, on april 30, 2007

Sound: I am quite surprised that no one else has reviewed this album, but I am also honored to be the first to review such a wonderful album. The album does not have very much drumming, but where it is, it is beautifully done. Quite a lot of synths in this CD, I like it because it adds a nice changed-up factor from the first few albums. Every song on this album, as most of you already know, is just a remake of the original. Of course they still sound a bit the same, but most of them just tend to be over-repetative and lengthy. One or two of the songs on this CD are pretty much the same as the original. // 9

Lyrics: As all people know, Ville is an amazing singer. And a pretty awesome songwriter as well. On a few songs he does tend to over-sing, but on most tracks, he is as great as he always is. A bit of backing vocals is used, and I think they sound great. I, as an aspiring songwriter, am extremly inspired by such a great album. The lyrics are very meaningful, and sung with extreme emotion. // 9

Overall Impression: 01. The Sacrament [Disrhythm Mix] - a very nice start to a very nice album. The piano definately prevails in this track. Ville's voice is very very beautiful here. A few added synths here and there. 02. The Funeral Of Hearts [Acoustic Version] - the acoustic sounds spectacular. 03. Join Me In Death [Strongroom Mix] - pretty much the same as the original. Wonderful background vocals in this song. Really gets the heart pumping. 04. Close To The Flame [The Rappula Tapes] - very slow beginning. I like the acoustic version of this song a bit better. The piano really brings the song to a new level. 05. In Joy And Sorrow [String Version] - an extremely amazing song! I absolutely love it. By far one of the best tracks on the whole album. 9.5/10 06. It's All Tears [Unplugged Radio Live] - I definately love this version of the song better than the original. And, although it is live, you cannot hear any background noises. 07. When Love And Death Embrace [AOR Radio Mix] - pretty much the same as the original, I don't really like it. 08. Buried Alive By Love [DeLiverance Version] - Ville over sings this song. First time I heard it I just had to turn it off. Also quite lengthy. 09. Gone With The Sin [O.D. Version] - absolutely love this song! I think it's perfect. Not too long, not too loud, just great. 10. Salt In Our Wounds [Thulsa Doom Version] - this song is a lot darker than the original. Which some people like, and other don't. But I think it's a great switch up from the original. 11. Please Don't Let It Go [Acoustic Version] - lovely song. Ville couldn't sound better. Great acoustic song. 12. One Last Time [Rockfield Madness Version] - this song is f--king great! It is a very emotional song. This version especially. Beautiful. 13. For You [Unplugged Radio Live] - I definately think this version of the song owns the original. Very well done. 14. The Path [P.S. Version] - this isn't a very good song in my opinion. It gets better half way through. Quite lengthy. But very good lyrics. 15. Lose You Tonight [Thulsa Doom Extended Dub] - a very very long song. I don't think I've actually heard the whole thing yet. Quite boring. The original is way way better. Overall, I would definately recommend this song to any HIM fan out there. It is very well put together. And you really get your money's worth with the hour and fifteen minute length. The album art is very well done. Props to the whole production crew, and especially, to the guys from HIM. This will be in my stereo for a very long time. // 10

Uneasy Listening, Vol. 1 Reviewed by: poisongirl_92, on may 30, 2007

Sound: When I first heard there was a HIM rare edition cd, I knew I had to get it. This band is really just very amazing! Their style is very unique and this CD is the one that shows it most because it's mostly all the songs put in a very creative style and what can I say? It was well put. It showed a bit mor eto the songs than at the first sight of them. I really love dthe sound of this record. Sure, there were some songs that get tiresome after a while but over all it was a good work! // 9

Lyrics: To me every HIM lyric is precious and admired. It's just always so passionate and amazing! Their lyrics in this compilation probably have to be most of my favorites and the band's best songs! Of course Ville Valo always shows us that he has one of the most amazing voices in any voice I've ever heard. Even my mom fell in love with Valo's gorgeous voice and that's saying something! His voice evokes sexyness and sound s very sultry! I love Ville's voice, to me he's the best male singer I have heard in a while, after Muse's singer. The only song that I didn't like as much as the others in voice aspects might be Buried Alive by Love, I thought one of his lungs were about to pop out. // 10

Overall Impression: The Overall impression from this album might be that HIM always keeps it how they are exactly how they are. You know, their love meets death style. I'd say it's very unique. The Most impressive song might be In Joy and Sorrow and that marvelous string arrangement, it was to love! Others were The Sacrament, The Funeral of Hearts, Please Don't Let it Go and Lose you Tonight. Fantastic song! I love their songs, though I disliked some that were put incredibly different than how I imagined they would be. If this album were stolen I'd probably kick the robber's butt! but I would probably get something else! It's a good album but it's not to die for! // 9

Uneasy Listening, Vol. 1 Reviewed by: eizim007, on december 12, 2008

Sound: This album is definitely one of the masterpiece that vile, mige, linde, gas has to offer. this is an album which realises our dream to hear the alternate version of their best songs. I'm pretty sure you have asked yourself at least once 'how will this song goes like this? '. This album truly shows the idea that they have which is very wide and great. the alteration of every song is perfectly match with the lyrics. although some song is almost the same like join me in death and when love and death embrace but the song is truly a legendary songs of HIM. I found that it is not a waste of money to buy the album whicg contains the same song. // 9

Lyrics: I am definitely in love with the lyrics. All of them. even though every song pretty much have the same them which is love+death. I found that ville is very good in making lyrics. Plus his godlike sexiness voice. it is a surprise how a original drummer of the band have one of the nicest voice in the world. If a genie appears infront of me and wnt to grant me 3 wishes, I will definitely ask for his voice on the 1st wish. his years of experience in singing pays of with the perfect vibrato and deep-voice. his transition of voice is perfect in it's all tears. If you hear it's all tears live you will realise that his vocal power is almost the same like the soundtrack. I would definitely support if ville want to make a song or two with Amy Lee because their voice blends perfectly in my head. // 10

Overall Impression: I have to say that they have created a whole new genre in music industry. Love metal is something that you cannot easily follow. this kind of music you have to mix with feeling and creativeness. I'm pretty sure they are pioneer of this genre. They are one of a kind band, they are not gothic or anything like type o negative and sister of mercy eventhough they are HIM's influence. I love how they make their idea of changing different music of the same song. but I hate the fact that they make some of the remix very bad and it kinda shows that they are out of idea to make new songs. I don't know maybe it is just me. if somebody stole this my album, I will not get angry because I will gladly buy another copy of this album. // 10

Comments