Uneasy Listening, Vol. 2 Review

Genres: Alternative Pop/Rock, Goth Rock, Goth Metal
 Lyrics: 9.5
 8.9
Uneasy Listening, Vol. 2 Reviewed by: YourMessiah666, on june 27, 2007

Sound: This is the second 'Uneasy Listening' CD from HIM. I would say the sound from that album has not improved. This album has more diverse sounds than the first edition. A few live tracks are on this CD, a few covers, and a few re-makes of older tracks. Unfortunately, no acoustic tracks. The album art, on the other hand, I think is just as good as the first Uneasy Listening CD. An interesting fact is that on the sides of both CDs is half of the heartagram, so if you put both CDs together a full heartagram is produced, which is a very cool idea from HIM. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics, are pretty much the same as the old albums. A bit different in some tracks. Ville, is one of the best song-writers and vocalist I have ever heard. His voice is lovely. The amazing voice goes very nicely with the wonderful music. This CD is filled with 'remixes' so it is a bit different from the other albums, but I think his voice has improved. In the first Uneasy Listening album, I mentioned that Ville 'over sung' a few tracks, I could not say the same about this CD. On the live covers (with the exception of Wicked Game) his voice doesn't fit the song. So I think that takes away from the greatness factor. // 9

Overall Impression: 01. Buried Alive By Love [616 Version] - this is definitely a re-make from the old version. The lyrics have changed somewhat, the beat is a bit different. But I think it is quite an interesting, overall good change. 02. Rendezvous With Anus [Dein Arsch] - a new track. Quite catchy. A very sexual song I would say. One of my favorites on the album. 03. Sigillum Diaboli [Studio Live Evil] - very similar to the original. Which kicks ass! Amazingly catchy song. 04. I Love You [White House Version] - very melodic song. One of the best on the album by far. 05. The Begining Of The End [Sad Damn Version] - I absolutely adored the original version of this song. And this version is even better. 06. Again [Hollovlad Tepes] - Ville's voice is amazing on this track. On every track for that matter. But this track, he shows it even more. Great overall song. 07. Wicked Game [Live In Turku] - this is the first of the live tracks on this CD. It adds a different vibe than the other Uneasy Listening CD, only having one live song. Live version is way better than the album version. 08. Sould On Fire [Erich Zann's Supernatural RMX] - almost a techonish remix. Pretty damn cool though. Adds a new sense of what HIM can do. 09. Beautiful [Hollovlad Tepes] - a heavier twist of the song. In my opinion, it is not an improvment. This song does get slower a minute in or so, but it is too heavy compared to the original. 10. Endless Dark [616 Version] - a very cool change up from the original! 11. Hand Of Blood [Live In Turku] - me no likey. 12. Right Here In My Arms [Live In Turku] - this song is preformed live, and it's good! It's very good. 13. Sailin' On [Live In Turku] - originally done by the Bad Brain, so I don't think it was a good song for HIM to preform. 14. Pretending [Cosmicpope Jam Version] - beautiful song. The best song to end the album. A little long though. I would reccomend this album to any HIM fan, just to add to the collection. It's not the best CD in the world, but it is pretty darn good. Go out and buy yourself a copy. // 9

Uneasy Listening, Vol. 2 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 02, 2007

Sound: The follow up to Fall 2006's Uneasy listening Vol. 1, this much anticipated release has been a major tease to HIM fans for quite some time. It boasts heavier, more fast-paced music instead of the melancholic, acoustic tracks of it's predecessor. It features three live tracks from a show in Turku, including Black Sabbath's "Hand of Doom", covers of Turbonegro's "Rendezvous With Anus" and Bad Brain's "Sailin' On", and remixes of several other HIM songs. Even with no new original tracks, this album shows just how great HIM songs can be when there's enough innovation. // 8

Lyrics: Since most of the tracks on this album are remixes or re-recordings, it features all the lyrics one would expect from Mr. Ville Valo. There are a few variations to the 616 remixes of "Buried Alive by Love" and "Endless Dark", but nothing too drastic. And even with the lyrics designed for the "softer" songs of albums prior, the heavier music still somehow fits for an amazing mix of youthful, fast-paced music and deep, meaningful lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: 01. Buried Alive By Love [616 Version] - a revamped version of the Love Metal release, "Buried Alive by Love" with altered lyrics. As if it wasn't amazing as it was, HIM kicked it up another notch. 02. Rendezvous With Anus [El Presidente Version] - leave it to HIM to make a Turbonegro punk song into a gothic-esque rock and roll cover. Fantastic song. 03. Sigillum Diaboli [Studio Live Evil] - the same version you'll find on the Razorblade Romance LP, this song has an amazing message behind it with beautiful lyrics and a catchy hook. 04. I Love You [White House Version] - another song from Razorblade Romance, this one's been remixed with softer verses and a kick-ass chorus. 05. The Begining Of The End [Sad Damn Version] - off of Greatest Lovesongs Vol. 666, this is a remix showing off incredibly heavy riffs and amazingly sinister lyrics. One of my favorites on this album. 06. Again [Hollovlad Tepes] - what can you say about this song besides kick-ass? A definite potential favorite for any true HIM fan. 07. Wicked Game [Live In Turku] - an amazing version of Chris Isakk's Wicked Game, starting out with a keyboard for the infamous guitar intro that so many fans have come to adore. 08. Sould On Fire [Erich Zann's Supernatural RMX] - HIM goes techno? A good idea at best, but in my personal opinion, this version makes the song seem meaningless and dragged-out. 09. Beautiful [Hollovlad Tepes] - a song that was a softer, sappier, make-out mood type song before somebody realized the potential it might have. Completely turned upside-down. Fantastic guitar solo. 10. Endless Dark [616 Version] - a similar effect to the new version of "Buried Alive by Love" with heavier, more distorted riffs and tweaked lyrics. 11. Hand Of Doom [Live In Turku] - a cover of a Black Sabbath song. It's about time. Fantastic voice match for the mood of the song. 12. Right Here In My Arms [Live In Turku] - live, faster, and more up-tempo. This Razorblade Romance classic boasts a few new elements such as a keyboard melody throughout the entire song. 13. Sailin' On [Live In Turku] - did anyone see this one coming? I sure didn't. Though it's good and fast-paced, this song wasn't a good match for Ville's voice. 14. Pretending [Cosmicpope Jam Version] - beautiful. Just beautiful. The only downside is that it drags on for a while. Overall, I personally think this album is a must-have for any HIM fan, or anyone who just likes catchy, fast paced music. Totally worth the store price. Then again, I am a little biased to HIM. // 9

Comments