Venus Doom review by HIM

• Released: Sep 18, 2007
HIM: Venus Doom

HIM has been the first real band for me to be a fan of. Maybe I'm not so objective but I try! The sound has changed a lot. Venus Doom sounds more like their first Album Greatest Lovesongs Vol. 666 with a touch of Love Metal and you can hear the influences like Iron Maiden or Black Sabbath. You can hear more guitar riffs and guitar parts in general than on Dark Light.

Ville Valo is a great singer. His voice totally fits to the music and the dark lyrics (he has a dark voice). He was great from the beginning, so didn't really need to get any better. The lyrics are good, but sometimes they don't fit as good as Valo's voice, because there are some filler words and stuff like that, but all in all Valo did a great job lyrically and with his voice!

You really feel that they're trying something new and not just rewriting their popular albums, of course it's still HIM and they haven't lost their special something. In my personal opinion, Venus Doom can't reach their famous album Love Metal, but tops Dark Light. My new favorite song probably is Bleed Well. There's an acoustic song called Song or Suicide (sounds really emo, no) which is also very good and if you liked their first single 'Kiss Of Dawn' or 'Passion's Killing Floor' from the Transformers soundtrack, you should buy the album. I would buy it everytime again.