Venus Doom review by HIM

• Released: Sep 18, 2007
HIM: Venus Doom

This album has brought back the "Rock" from HIM. Ville Valo stated in an interview that this album is much more guitar heavy, yet still manages to be atmospheric and have that characteristic HIM doom feel, it just punches you in the gut that little bit harder. I felt that we needed a lot less keyboards and there was just going to be more punching to the face type of thing, Valo says, referring to the differences between Dark Light and Venus Doom. The songs are longer also, so there is much more difference within the songs in reference to arrangements. I would also love to shake the hand of HIM guitarist Mikko "Linde" Lindstrom, for bringing some amazingly fun soloing to the album. I'm not going to tell you which tracks they're on, listen to the wole album for yourelf, and you'll appreciate it more. This is HIM at their best we've seen them. Mixing melody and atmosphere with straight up rock and just having fun, this album will not dissapoint.

Ville Valo and his incredible vocal range once again are the perfect fit for HIM's sound. The lyrics are incredibly personal, and still follow that similar, love and loved ones lost and romance gone wrong kind of theme. The lead single, Kiss Of Dawn, was inspired by the death of one of his close friends. One of my mates from here in L.A. committed suicide two and a half years ago, and that's a tribute to him, Valo says of the song. It's about how it is on the other side and how we react to it on this side. Just a young guy who had the world, everything is possible, but deep depression and too many drugs cause you to do stupid things. So the subject matter is not light on the album. But it's good to get this out. It's cathartic.

This album could be compared to bits and pieces of many of their previous studio efforts, but it is largely a new formula, argely influenced by one factor: maturity. The band has grown a lot, with keyboardist Burton even having his first child, prompting the band to record at home in Finland, influencing the doomier aspects of the album even further. On the lighter end the hooks are even catchier, Every day since I've bought the album I've had a different favourite song, so I won't influence your choice by listing any of the songs. Once again, I encourage you to just listen to this album through, over and over again, asi am presently doing, and appreciating it's mulit-faceted, incredibly talented feel.

Fly-swatter
    gotta love Valo's voice on this one, hes dropped to an even lower tone! amazing singer, got tickets to see them in december! long live HIM
    I Walk Alone
    Whoabot wrote: I Walk Alone wrote: I honestly think this is the best CD I've ever listened to. Long live HIM. You need to listen to more music.
    You need to accept more opinions.
    koolfoolinapool
    there was a lot of soundgarden styled influences in there. The guitar and vocals are two examples. lIsten to Cyanide Sun. Soundgardens everywhere. And Valos going into the high notes just like Chris Cornell.
    LP4EVR
    guitarmania93 wrote: my favorite song by him is Rip Out The Wings Of A Butterfly
    wow you can tell your a bandwagon cuz you called the song wrtong and thats not even their best one
    jammyninja
    I have to say, I'm not impressed by Kiss Of Dawn. Mediocre song and the pinch harmonics just feel like a lazy attempt at being "heavy". May listen to the album eventually, but methinks HIM's formula has gotten a little too tired to my ears and no longer appeals.
    ckyguitar
    i was very impressed by this album. this is alot better than dark light, although killing loneliness is still my fav HIM song. the lyrics are definatly more darker but still still have their love centered feel. valo's vocals are still amzingly good. love metal is still prolly my fav HIM album though, but this is a refressing album to distract from the crap thats out there now (MCR). go get this album!
    Project Pat
    I'm listening to Love In Cold Blood, I haven't heard solos like that in a long time, so yeah, just plain awesome
    A.U.S.T.I.N.
    i saw this at hot topic the other day, it didn't look that great to me, so i got the new Chiodos cd, but i might pick this up later.
    AvengedThrice
    mr.blue7 wrote: LMFAO! HIM and MCR are within da same categorie, let me guess u guys also like metallicas new stuff and u think that HIM is better than bands like Megadeth. first of all there is no such thing as love metal its just emo. and if u say im ignorant, go listen to real bands like skid row and motley crue.
    Well, if HIM and MCR are in the same category, I guess that would mean MCR aren't emo, because HIM sure as hell aren't. Are you one of those fags that labels emotional music as emo? I bet you can't even remember the bands who created emo. Emo is not what you think it is. Oh and BTW, Skid Row and Crue suck testicles. Crue did like 3 good songs, and Skid Row did none. ALSO: Metallica's new stuff sucks hard, but I'll bet its still better than anything you'll ever create..
    TheAmenCorner89
    Oh and HIM is a goth band, not an emo band. HIM are good, i'd say Razorblade is their best album, this one is pretty good too, but not as good as the real goth metal bands like My Dying Bride and Paradise Lost
    Sameagleye
    This is the BEST album iv'e ever heard, PERIOD, VENUS DOOM RULES, it kicks ass in a sentimental way, as Ville would say!! Rock on HIM, i bleed HIM forever!
    Sameagleye
    But i don't care what you A-holes have to say or your stupid opinions, HIM always has, and always will be my favorite band.
    Fly-swatter
    Sameagleye wrote: HIM isnt goth either dumbass! theyre not anything but HIM, HIM is the greatest ****ing band ever! hands down! and for reviews, you might want to get their names right, the guitarist's name is Mikko Lindstrom, *****s, you people are a disgrace to real HIM fans as myself, ive been listening to HIM since thier first demo came out, before anyone knew who they were. THEYRE NOT GOTH, EMO, ROCK OR ALTERNATIVE, THEYRE H.I.M.!!!!!
    erm....no they're not H.I.M..ville has said countless time they are HIM
    TragedyxLLBD
    turbojugend333 wrote: You know I have been a HIM fan for quite a while now, Ville has incredible vocals, Linde is a great guitarist, and Burton and Gas set the tone/theme of the songs. Can't wait to get this album after school! oh yeah, and congradulations to Burton having a child. and one last thing, If you havent checked out Turbonegro's new album RETOX then you should definately check this one out, It's sooooo awsome, and sooo goood! just like HIM..... but in a different sence of course
    clearly someone obsessed with/used to be obsessed with the faggerino known as Bam Margera.
    Man-Made-God
    HIM is the shit,bam is shit.him rocks,emo sucks,I LOVE SLUTS!lol,jks.go him!burn the emos and MCuntR!!!
    beberasmus
    Well I think Venus Doom is one of the best albums from HIM, like RAZORBLADE ROMANCE, and in my opinion DEEP SHADOWS AND... its the worst album from HIM... Linde has worked a lot in the guitar riffs on Venus Doom
    seanington
    no need for elitists. I doubt you wouldve had their demo when you where six years old...
    Afi_rocker_91
    love this album! its th greatest! all of the albums are good..you just have to be open-minded to listen to dark light..i love that album btw i love how ville screams in dead lovers lane
    Fly-swatter
    I've been a HIM fan for quiet a while now, although thei lyrics are similar on most albums, none of them are the same musically and that is where HIM have stepped up on this album...amazing.
    Sweet Morphine
    this is one of the best albums i've heard - with nice bass lines and awesome guitar riffs, the lyrics are nothing short of brilliance. this album was beautiful, deep and seductive - just what you expect from these love metal gods.
    Gothica69
    The very first band I ever called my favourite...aww...i remember, the GLS666 was the best album all time, with songs like For You...i just love them. And than came the Razorblade with less guitar, lighter vocals, and so on, ok twas good too and than the Deep shadows...wtf? With this album they got famous here too, but at all twas sucks...sorry Ville, but that's the truth. It just got too light for them too. I didn't expect much from the Love Metal, but it was good in some way...i accepted that they lost the real HIM feeling, something changed, something missin that never gonna come back, but twas still a good album with songs like Endless dark and such. Next is the Dark Light...nah...some good songs like the Nightside of Eden but thats all, the worst HIM record of all time...ok, im goin to listen to the old records it's all ok i thought. But i just heard of that Venus Doom...a new album again, could it be worst i asked. But i heard the first song, the Passions Killing Floor and...whatta? It was great! The guitars came back not in the same style as the old ones, but theres some good in it, and it was felt good to play too. And yeah...Lizzy uses B tuning just like in the GLS666 that i love so. (I have to say, on some songs Lizzy uses A tuning just like the KoRn) Ok, the next song i heard it was the kiss of dawn, it rocks too i said...and now i got the full album and i wont be dissapointed. Its really one of their best album, nearly good as the GLS666 but cannot really be compared. At all one of the best albums really...and now im just stuck on the sleepwalking past hope and the bleed well. The lyrics are sooo great...and even better if you can understand what Ville wanted to say. And yeah...It wont be popular as the DS&BH but its positive...i think this music is not about money as many says, its the real music of the HIM. So...thanks again guys, its great, and keep on good work.
    dark_falco3000
    personally I love every him album released so far. Except Dark Light. That album sucks balls. Anyway, this album is really good, but I prefer their older stuff (namely GLS666, Razorblade Romance and Deep Shadows and Brilliant Highlights... Love Metal was alright, but not as good). Anyway, this has some really awesome songs on it, like Venus Doom, Kiss of Dawn and Cyanide Sun.
    Dyuha
    this CD is not the same impressive as their earliest ones, but it's obviously better than Dark Light, imho
    Bimbostar
    I havnt listened to the album yet but from the things iv heard, it sounds awesome
    turbojugend333
    beberasmus
    I think HIM on venus doom has returned to his original sound, like on GREATEST LOVE SONGS or 666 WAYS TO LOVE. I like the guitar riffs from all the album and the solos are amazing..
    Afi_rocker_91
    hankey_pankey wrote: their album "love Metal" sucked so bad im not gonna bother with this one
    yea...love metal rocks..its not good to start with though if your getting into them....Give "Razorblade Romance" a try..very good album
    Well im prety sad that all the songs start with heavy riffs and then pops up to serenades...and when they said that its theyr heaviest...well i think they have amnesia and dont remember good old Greatest Lovesong vol 666...song or suicide reminded me gone with the sin
    no mercy
    Paradise Lost
    no mercy wrote: just want to say that the cd artwork is absolutely atrocious. Anybody else agree?
    Absolutely not. You clearly have no idea what art is. Try not being so ignorant.
    Kinderfeld
    I picked this CD up Wednesday, and I must say I love it. I don't get why people are bashing the artwork, I think its beautiful.
    Pirullinen
    I love the album. I've been a fan for nearly ten years and this is definitely a strong album from HIM! And finally we are getting some good ratings! Oy Saatana! Go HIM!