Venus Doom review by HIM

• Released: Sep 18, 2007
HIM: Venus Doom

We all know HIM for their unique brand of "Love Metal", Venus doom wanders away from the typical sound of HIM, Trading Synth heavy songs for more classic rock. It is a departure from the ballad filled albums like "Dark Light" and Deep Shadows" but any HIM fan would agree that Venus doom stays true to the original him sound and ventures back into the classic sounds of "Razorblade romance" and "Greatest lovesongs vol.666". As Ville Valo has said, this album was written in tragedy,, This sense of Gloom and Granduer can be heard in every recording on this album, From the opening riffs of feature track "venus doom" to the final chords of "Cyanide sun" Him have re-created their sound from poppier sound to heavy guitars and 'doom riffs' without alienating fans. As I've mentioned before this album is the heavier side of him, but fear not, Ville Valo's Deep and Soothing vocals still remain and sound amazing with the new sound.Valo's performances on this album are some of his best efforts to date, with powerful use of all techniques. He has proved that he is one of the greatest vocalists in rock. 01.Venus Doom: the opening track does it's job perfectly, with heavy riffs, chunky chords and an exellent melody. Upon hearing this you may actually think you have got the wrong CD until Valo's all to familiar voice kicks in.The breakdown features one of the darkest sounding grooves HIM have ever recorded, with ville valo's voice in top shape This song is easyily one of the best. The guitars sound great and blends perfectly with the synths, bass and drums. 10/10 02.Love in Cold Blood: another heavy song, the riffs sound great and the drums are exellent, Valo's voice on this track is one of his best performances. This song deserves special mention as it it the first song on this album that displays Linde's guitar skill as a lead player with a great solo.An overall good song, this is the perfect song to show HIM's Talent at mixing Heavy with Melodic.9.5/10 03.Passion's Killing Floor: this song as used on the transformers soundtrack ventures into the more POP sounds that him have created, With an interesting intro riff the song is good, Valo's vocals are amazing and this song is another exellent track. With a breakdown that uses Dark sounds it shows HIM's ability to mix pop with rock.Great Riffs and Great performances all around. The only problem is that it can get a bit repetitive but still is a good track. 8.5/10 04.The Kiss Of Dawn: the band describes this as their "metallica moment", This song does not let the album down,. the first single features one of the coolest/heaviest riffs and solo's HIM have ever done.The Chorus hook will grab you and will be on your mind for days on end. This song is Tribute aswell, dedicated to one of Valo's friend who commited suicide during the recording sessions.This to features a breakdown that sounds great, Valo's vocals on this song are fantastic you can hear the emotion in his voice. the perfect track. 10/10 05.Sleepwalking Past Hope: the 10 minute epic of this album, begins with a lovely keyboard motif that turns into a very dark sabbath sounding groove, the song sounds exellent start to end with many different sounds, from the Rock based song to the almost electronic interlude into the metal breakdown.Features some of the best solo's that I have heard. Valo sounds spectacular and demonstrates his signature deep voice in the breakdown.This song features everything you could expect from HIM, heavy riffs, classical grooves, Keyboard solo's, Guitar solo's and good ass drumming. 10/10 06.Dead Lovers Lane: a more upbeat track, is a good follow up to SLeepwalking, The appregio's in the verses sound great and the guitar solo is particularly good. The chorus is hella catchy also. Valo sounds great and the drums are good.The breakdown sounds great aswell. 9/10 08.Song Or Suicide: a beautiful piece, just an acoustic guitar and Valo's voice. It serves as an interlude between trackls and only goes for around one minute. Valo's voice is beautiful on this piece and the guitar is lovely.the only downside is that it's incredibly short, but none the less it is a great song.9/10 09.Bleed Well: another sabbath sounding riff, This potentially is one of best tracks on the album, Valo's vocal performance matches those on 'Love Metal' and 'Dark Light' and sound great. The guitars sound great, the crunchy kinda sound you'd expect from Black sabbath are on here, This Track has the best Solo in HIM's musical career. this song is the best.with catchy hooks, awesome riffs and music this is what HIM does best. 10/10 10.Cyanide Sun: this song is a nice way to close the album, a slow Soft song. This goes head to head with any other acoustic style track him have done (killing loneliness, Funeral of hearts). Valo's vocals are sublime and the guitars are amazing, the solo is one of the most beautiful pieces I havce heard. This is the best way to end an album, with the closing seconds of valo singing. this song start to end is amazing. 10/10

Valo has always created moving and beautiful lyrics, the Content of each song is Similar to all other Him Songs. The Ballad based lyrics are common in him, and this gives Him it's definitive sound.lyrics go from being very well crafted and metaphor based like in Passion's Killing Floor: "its poetry carved in the flesh, This beautiful hell of ours, to the deadliest sins we confess" and in Bleed well: "No love lost under her will, I heard you weeping, and in those words a church was bulit, to keep the pain in, If death is the answer to loves mystery, then bleed on my darling to a sound of a dream" to the out right and obvious-Bleed well: "Bleed Well the soul you're about to sell, for passion derrange, bleed well the heart your about to fail, for reasons insane" or Kiss of Dawn: "I'm reaching for your shadow drowning, in the kiss of dawn, touching the pains taht you left me with, the kiss of dawn" These lyrics appear to be directed at somebody, while some other topics are just un directed lyrics, like in cyanide sun: "Should have known how hard it is to stop, tearing each other apart, seperating souls entwined" and in Venus Doom: "watch me fall for you my venus doom, hide my heart, where all dreams are entombed, my venus doom" "grieve all your hearts out as she writhes and falls, in tragic, ecstatic agony" Romance and death and love and loss is the premise of all these lyrics but Valo's lyrics never get repetitive or tiresome. He creates some of the most beautiful lyrics that I have read.

HIM is one of my favourite bands, and this album did nto dissapoint, I was mezmerized from the start, the heavy ounds blew my mind and the original styles of him were still present. This is without a doubt one of theier strongest releases to date. it goes boot to boot with any other HIM album or song. HIM have released one of the greatest sounding Cd's and this is worth buying, for Him fans and people who just want a good rock cd. This will not dissapoint. Highlights include. Venus doom Cyanide sun Sleepwalking past hope Kiss of dawn Bleed Well Passion's Killing Floor Love In Cold blood

andrewjf
    i like a few songs like Passion's Killing Floor, Venus Doom, and Song or Suicide. But overall, this is my least favorite. my favs are 1) Razorblade Romance 2) Love Metal Deep Shadows isnt too great, and Greatest Lovesongs 666 is not that great.