All American Nightmare review by Hinder

• Released: Dec 7, 2010
Hinder: All American Nightmare

Nobody does the whole, "Sex, drugs, and Rock & Roll" thing quite like Hinder. The band's third release "All American Nightmare" keeps the trend going strong. Hinder has always had a way of jumping from one extreme to the next and that theme rings true here as well. With songs that range from breakup and heartache (Red Tail Lights, Everybody Knows and The Life) to good old fashioned party songs (All American Nightmare, Striptease, Waking Up The Devil and Put That Record On). This album has potential to push Hinder into even bigger popularity with the song Put That Record On, which pays homage to everyone from Bob Segar to Ozzy to Lepplin to Motley Crue. Lead singer, Austin Winkler's vocals are, as usual, very solid. His voice seems to have matured a bit and sounds stronger than ever. The musicianship has also grown for the other members of the band. The lead riffs on Waking Up The Devil and Striptease sound almost Alice in Chains-ish.

You know what to expect from Hinder when it comes to the lyrics department. Nothing too deep, but usually pretty solid. "Pretty girls and whiskey/Quarter bags and dimes/Put it in my face, I'm gonna do it every time" from Waking Up The Devil is one of my favorites. On Put That Record On, you get "Life's Been a Crazy Train, barely kept it on the tracks/If you think it's a shame I act this way/Blame it on Back in Black". I have a feeling this song will be played to death if they release it as a single.

"All American Nightmare" is a solid album. It's one you find yourself listening to over and over and doesn't really get old. The only complaint is that they apparently wrote 70 songs preping for the album and only ten made the final cut. You can buy versions with bonus tracks, but really? 70 songs? I would have thought these guys were batting better than .142 when it comes to coming up with record worthy tunes. I guess it's better than putting in a bunch of filler songs though. This album is definitely worth a listen. It's one of the better albums I've heard in a while.

maximumrocker
    music isnt about being number 1.....
    BurningEarth23
    i'm looking at the album cover right now since I was curious about the similarities. The fonts ARE in fact different, and it's closer the the font used in the band's name than it is to the album name. That being said, I don't really listen to Hinder at all, or Avenged Sevenfold much anymore. I more just wanted to comment on the font situation being a computer nerd and things
    EpiExplorer
    slybacon wrote: The font is the exact same as A7X's Nightmare
    Originality is not this bands strongpoint, then.
    broslin
    slybacon wrote: The font is the exact same as A7X's Nightmare
    wow, you're right. they could've at least changed the word. nonetheless, i like them. haven't heard this new album yet though.
    Raining Kasch
    I've been a Hinder fan for a while, and I didn't expect the country direction at all. Still it's a lot better than the pop rock theme from the last album. The leads are way better than Garvey's past efforts, the music is heavier, just all around a better album. Can't really expect them to think too far outside the box though. And what're you talking about Gary? Hinder is alright, but Buckcherry kicks ass!
    shuvelhead
    i'm surprised anyone can tell the difference between the two. music has been kidnapped
    albinorino24
    GaryS wrote: A user rating of 3 haha. They are pretty terrible, I rank them on the same level as Buckcherry.
    I've always considered Hinder a poor mans Buckcherry. Kinda like how Poison is a poor mans Motley Crue
    DantePhoenix
    Tigershark2112
    I thought I was the only one who noticed the font being the same as A7X (which is a MUCH better band imo). Lips of an Angel is the main reason I can't stand Hinder. Waayy too overplayed.
    rtdgamefan
    I'm sorry, but I absolutely cannot stand this band. True, there are songs here and there that have a lot of heart and I really enjoy, but I just wish there were more.
    DarcyRoddy
    Good Band nice easy going wouldnt mind a bit more technicality within the riffs but when all is said and done the vocals are fantastic great grundge singer that can hit many notes. The lyrics are pretty cool aswell straight forwad and crude (sex drugs and rocknroll) good to see that they havent changed from since they started. Nice Stuff
    Mainer
    Hinder isn't bad. not the most orignal band ever, but they have a few catchy hooks every now and again. I'll probly check this album out sometime
    mulletman619
    didn't this record come out 4 times in 2009? and 6 times in 2008, 5 times in 2007,.....i could go on forever.
    FlyingPirahna
    One hit wonder, really. I've never heard anything else by them on the radio except for Lips of An Angel (and MAYBE one other song, but it all blends together). Everything else I've heard is just bland...Hinder sounds like Daughtry sounds like Nickelback. It's so old at this point.
    Bass21
    Probably gonna check it out, Not that I'm a big fan just that my band did "lips of an angel" so meh, why not check em out. Damn though, People go crazy bout that "lips of an angel" song! That's all i heard on the radio For the longest time!
    Punkrokkboi
    hinders pretty cool in my book. met them on a plane (they were flying coach, go figure lol...) and they were pretty cool to me and when I talked to them. cant wait to buy this. (yes buy this, as pirating is reserved for KISS albums and other non-fan=friendly bands)
    Fausch
    betterman5 wrote: guitarnut_xiix wrote: JEEZ already! When will the record co.'s stop putting out this generic SHIT! Every band on rock radio (okay, with a few exceptions) sounds the same nowadays - the battery in my iPod is practically dead I've stopped listening to radio for so long. This copied, formulated, generic, pathetic trend of nonstop shit music is getting soooo OLD. Dear Hinder(and all you other generic, shit "bands"), please stop making "music". You suck at it and need to GO AWAY. Yours truly, EVERYONE. PS - Seriously go away. No one with working ears wants you. I'm not joking, not even a little. Go away NOW. I'm thinking Radiohead fan or indie rock fan. Only they speak so pointlessly. Sigh. Anyway i dont like hinder, but obviously some people do. So get over it tard. But I'll agree with some other comments, Hinder is like Nickelback junior. Which is kinda gay. I like Nickelback but atleast Chad can sing you know.
    Chad can sing? I always considered Theory of a Deadman to be Nickelback junior, but I guess in post-grunge, everybody is either Creed or Nickelback.
    voodoochile000
    hinder is too generic! no real emotion in their music other than dimwitted meatheaded attitude.
    GaryS
    cjfresh333
    r u serious whoever wrote the review at the top needs to get there head outta there ass im beginning to think the people who join this website wouldnt know great music if it bit them in the ass
    tboat
    [quote]Fausch wrote: betterman5 wrote: guitarnut_xiix wrote: JEEZ already! When will the record co.'s stop putting out this generic SHIT! Every band on rock radio (okay, with a few exceptions) sounds the same nowadays - the battery in my iPod is practically dead I've stopped listening to radio for so long. This copied, formulated, generic, pathetic trend of nonstop shit music is getting soooo OLD. Dear Hinder(and all you other generic, shit "bands"), please stop making "music". You suck at it and need to GO AWAY. Yours truly, EVERYONE. PS - Seriously go away. No one with working ears wants you. I'm not joking, not even a little. Go away NOW. Thats why the went triple platnium right.. dumbass
    JoeLB-PULSE
    Yes Chad can most definitely sing. Even if you don't like nickelback you can't really say he can't sing. Theory of a Deadman and Hinder both seem like a poor man's Nickelback to me.
    DantePhoenix
    transplants182 wrote: maximumrocker wrote: DantePhoenix wrote: Dear Hinder, Avenged Sevenfold didn't get a no. 1 record from their font type and having "nightmare" in red on the cover. music isnt about being number 1..... I'm pretty sure it is when it comes to Hinder
    Exactly what I was getting at. That is the whole perpose for them even being a band; making money. If there was any passion in their music we might have heard it by now.
    "Tez"
    Theory of a Deadman were signed by Nickelbacks record label...
    mattdavers
    EpiExplorer wrote: tl;dr, you're a fanboy, yadda yadda yadda.
    A Fanboy? Im a guy..and im a fan yes? thats a real nice comeback.
    kbrulz
    mattdavers
    kbrulz wrote: Really? Complaining about the font they use on their album cover? Good God...Theory of a Deadman and the like, are not wanna-be Nickelback bands. They play the same style of music. Morons...
    Agree With This Dude
    ikantuna
    I didn't get the idea of avenged sevenfold gotta do with this dumb gay cover album... Hinder/Justin bieber/drake/t-pain is what wrong with the music nowadays...
    foster.getagrip
    slybacon wrote: The font is the exact same as A7X's Nightmare
    Hinder was saying that they are a nightmare
    lilwordy
    The All American Nightmare album foreshadows its own place among the classic rockers to whom it pays tribute. The musical allusions in PUT THAT RECORD ON could serve as a Foundations of Rock 101 survey, and Hinder stands shoulder to shoulder with the masters. STRIPTEASE, which is sure to ignite a flurry of speculation, and HEY HO both effectively dismiss the overly glitzed, media grubbing antitheses of rock, while WHAT YA GONNA DO and THE LIFE take an introspective turn and deliver a poignant assessment of making choices and living with them. In what may be the sleeper track of the album, EVERYBODYS WRONG gives a voice to those who have taken the heat, bared the load, and weathered the storm of being in a relationship with a disingenuous fraud. The title track, ALL AMERICAN NIGHTMARE is a blatant, no-apologies proclamation, yet it also plays like a political anthem, and one could easily imagine it blaring from the speakers of an Apache chopper destined for enemy soil. Anyone with a sense of humor and a penchant for satire will appreciate BAD MF. This track just invites listeners to open a cold one and pull up a chair. My advice PUT [THIS] RECORD ON!
    Nirvana00125
    There's a large difference between playing the "same style of music" and blatant copies. For instance: Dream Theater and Symphony X are both progressive metal yet they don't sound exactly the same. Nickleback, Hinder, Theory of a Deadman, they all sound exactly the same.
    Nirvana00125
    Obviously you've yet to realize all Hinder does is attempt to write catchy "rock" songs. So yes, their whole reason for playing music IS to get famous unfortunately.
    albinorino24
    I dont understand all the hate towards Hinder. Their not the most original band in the world but they play the music they love and have a great time doing it. Not everything has to be ground breaking. I honestly respect them more for continuing to play their music the way they want to play and take the criticism from the critics instead of them changing their style to gain acceptance.
    garret.wilk
    Come on guys, in the end, they are the unsigned famous people and we are not. Obviously they've worked long and hard to gain label attention, and they've succeeded, so good for them. Am I a fan of their music? Not really. Am I going to give this a listen? Probably not, but they are out doing what they love to do so Im not going to hate on them for that or any other band. I know any of us would swap spots with them in a second.
    HavokStrife
    A7X's font, and a pic of Yuna from FFX-2 with some tatts for the cover... so how much of the music is ripped off?
    goingnowhere21
    kbrulz
    goingnowhere21 wrote: They're really not that bad of a band. It's catchy music sure, but just because its mainstream doesn't really take anything away from it. People give mainstream bands too much shit because they thing they're too "yadda yadda" or whatever. Chill out.
    Word
    iH8CarAccidents
    Man, this album has been on the front page for like three days. And the previous two days have been user reviews of guitars. Can we have a good album on the front page now?
    transplants182
    I'm pretty sure it is when it comes to Hinder