Skip School, Start Fights review by Hit the Lights

• Released: Jul 8, 2008
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Hit the Lights: Skip School, Start Fights

The music industry nowadays is awash with copy cat pop-punk scenesters longing to be the next Fall Out Boy. While most people will categorize Ohio based Hit The Lights as one of 'those' bands (and to some extent rightly so), there is something about the quartet that sets them apart from the rest of the scene. For starters they don't don the usual floppy, wet-fish haircuts popular with most bands at the moment. Secondly whereas most bands seem to be moving towards a more dance-infused, synth orientated style of pop-punk (complete with auto-tuned vocals, may I add), Hit The Lights raise their fingers to this by staying true to their colors. Their blend of pop-punk reminisces of a cross between the energy of early Yellowcard and the vocal strength of All Time Low. I guess the best description of their sound would be a mixture of old and new pop-punk. Tracks such as Breathe In and Back Breaker have a poppy Saosin-esque guitar feel to them whilst Drop The Girl and Statues have the quick fueled pace of New Found Glory's Sticks and Stones era. The choruses in each song are unique and do exactly what's needed to catch the attention of listeners. It's pretty much a guarantee that after one listen at least one of the tunes will be firmly lodged in your head.

Lyrically the songs on Skip School Start Fights are what you would expect from any pop punk band. Heavily influenced by the drama of girls, love, and growing up, there is not a lot of subject diversity on the record. But this is made up for in the delivering of the lyrics as they are sung well and obviously with heart.

First impressions of the album are generally positive. The album has catchy tracks, good guitars and, although unoriginal, good drumming. But this is an album that, however catchy the choruses are, was not made to be long lasting. Hit The Lights have made a perfect album to soundtrack your summer, but no more than that.

Punkguitar07
    firsttoknow wrote: dude i just listened to them they ARE a pop/rock band, punk and emo shouldnt even be associated with them
    anyone without a biased opinion can clearly tell the influence of emo and punk music on bands like this. of course the band doesn't really fall into one of those genres, it was just influenced by them. hit the lights and bands like them are just pop-punk. nothing wrong with that.
    dant-33
    Sad But False wrote: rippin METALLICA OFF!!!
    they named themselves after the metallica song yes... but thats obviously cos they are fans, doesn't mean they need to play the same genre, these guys are absolutley amazing live too. x
    tmwtp
    Sad But False wrote: rippin METALLICA OFF!!!
    yes, because no one in the history of the world has ever used the phrase 'hit the lights,' and therefore, this band must be ripping off Metallica. good call. anyhoo, the new album's actually pretty good. i live about an hour from where these guys are from, and after seeing them a few times, i gotta say i think this is a step in the right direction.
    kiss zombies
    I'm really glad they could pull this off after Colin left. Stick Up was definitely better than this though.
    Underjoggle
    Metal_Militian wrote: It's also my name -_- how dare they, now people will think my name is refering to them rather than the legends Metallica, plus they sound like they write crap lyrics.. hoping they would have more a punk style, obviously they're just more modern heavy pop, which is very very light rock. Shame to waste the name.
    Oh, hush.
    Metal_Militian
    waiiit... i meant my other account .. haha sorry for the first bit was on the wrong account ahahaha
    Metal_Militian
    6Metal6Militia6
    NemX162 wrote: Sad But False wrote: rippin METALLICA OFF!!! Your claims are sad and false.
    His claims are right, hit the lights is a Metallica song.
    Punkguitar07
    autontune absolutely cannot make a bad singer sound good, may I add. also for the record, fall out boy claims to have never used auto-tune on any song.
    firsttoknow
    firsttoknow
    why are they listed as emo? its just a speculation but im pretty sure they sound nothing like rite of spring or fugazi, which is real emo. i think what they mean is pop/rock
    NemX162
    Sad But False wrote: rippin METALLICA OFF!!!
    Your claims are sad and false.
    Photograph
    Their new singer is actually pretty good I was a bit hesitant buying their album but I'm glad I got it.
    OThugSd
    On the album these guys seem pretty tame but I saw them live this weekend (opening for All Time Low) and they were pretty damn good.