Skip School, Start Fights review by Hit the Lights

• Released: Jul 8, 2008
Hit the Lights: Skip School, Start Fights

This band has been through a lot of s*** before this albums release, after the departure of colin (their former singer) and Nick (former guitarist) stepping up to the plate to replace him. The whole band didn't expect hit the lights to last much longer, going back to ohio and getting day jobs, but luckily they pulled through and made a pretty amazing album in my opinion. Their sound I think has differed quite greatly since This is a stick up was released, the guitars are heavier and the vocals sound notably different (just as good as colin in my opinion but in a different way). The chorus' in this album WILL stick in your head for every single track. They also have two cover songs which can be purchased from iTunes or downloaded from their myspace, which are covers I wouldn't expect from this band. The warrior by Scandal, and How will I know by whitney heuston are the covers, these are brilliant in my opinion, exept they didn't bother changing the lyrics for the whitney song so nick kinda sounds like he is singing about another guy, but hey that's fine by me. Overall I think this bands sound has improved soo much over the past few years so I'm going to give a very high score for this section.

The lyrics on this album are neither great or poor, usually with a pop punk band you need clever, metaphorical lyrics galore, this HAS them, but just not enough in my opinion. One of the songs though; Drop the girl, is an ANTHEM for any guy that has a girl messing him about, it is guaranteed to make you feel good! and 'Stay out' is perfect when on a drive with your friends late at night "Stay out all night, cos rest is for the dead!" awesome stuff... and very very catchy. The themes are all very similar the whole way through; Love, growing up, friendship. But that's fine because the point of this album is to make you feel good and it passes that with flying colours. Nick really pulled this album off well and I am so glad he stepped up or hit the lights wouldn't exist anymore, and his voice suits the heavier tone really well. I'm going to give this section a 7 however because of the lack of variety in the themes.

This is one to keep for the summer when driving around with your friends on a hot summer night, the chorus' are definatley catchy, but to be fair they won't stick in your head forever unless you are a superfan. The most impressive songs on the album are; Drop the girl: my favorite because of the sheer catchiness of the lyrics and the whole song in general. Stay Out: for the fun factor and truth behind the lyrics. Backbreaker: For that riff, that's all I need to say, and Statues for the soaring chorus that will blow your mind. Also Count it! (the intro track) is a perfect start to the album because it tells about their journeys on the road and how hard it is to be in a band, and I've seen them live and they opened with that, and the noise from the crowd singing along was breathtaking. If my computer broke and I lost the Album forever, I would definatley buy it again, it's one of my favorites.

greyeyedfire
    Sad But False wrote: rippin METALLICA OFF!!!
    dude, i really think its just a coincidence.... cool off
    Drazorback123
    calm urselfs who cares if they used metallica's song title...might b a coincidence but if it isnt y dont u think metallica hasnt sued em yet? think they care?