Skip School, Start Fights Review

Hit the Lights: Skip School, Start Fights
Release Date: Jul 8, 2008
Label: Triple Crown
Genres: Indie Rock, Punk-Pop, Emo
Hit The Lights sophomore release is a mixture of old and new pop-punk.
 Lyrics: 6.5
 7.9
 7.4
 8.4
Skip School, Start Fights Featured review by: UG Team, on july 23, 2008

Sound: The music industry nowadays is awash with copy cat pop-punk scenesters longing to be the next Fall Out Boy. While most people will categorize Ohio based Hit The Lights as one of 'those' bands (and to some extent rightly so), there is something about the quartet that sets them apart from the rest of the scene. For starters they don't don the usual floppy, wet-fish haircuts popular with most bands at the moment. Secondly whereas most bands seem to be moving towards a more dance-infused, synth orientated style of pop-punk (complete with auto-tuned vocals, may I add), Hit The Lights raise their fingers to this by staying true to their colors. Their blend of pop-punk reminisces of a cross between the energy of early Yellowcard and the vocal strength of All Time Low. I guess the best description of their sound would be a mixture of old and new pop-punk. Tracks such as Breathe In and Back Breaker have a poppy Saosin-esque guitar feel to them whilst Drop The Girl and Statues have the quick fueled pace of New Found Glory's Sticks and Stones era. The choruses in each song are unique and do exactly what's needed to catch the attention of listeners. It's pretty much a guarantee that after one listen at least one of the tunes will be firmly lodged in your head. // 7

Lyrics: Lyrically the songs on Skip School Start Fights are what you would expect from any pop punk band. Heavily influenced by the drama of girls, love, and growing up, there is not a lot of subject diversity on the record. But this is made up for in the delivering of the lyrics as they are sung well and obviously with heart. // 6

Overall Impression: First impressions of the album are generally positive. The album has catchy tracks, good guitars and, although unoriginal, good drumming. But this is an album that, however catchy the choruses are, was not made to be long lasting. Hit The Lights have made a perfect album to soundtrack your summer, but no more than that. // 7

Skip School, Start Fights Reviewed by: dant-33, on january 12, 2009

Sound: This band has been through a lot of s*** before this albums release, after the departure of colin (their former singer) and Nick (former guitarist) stepping up to the plate to replace him. The whole band didn't expect hit the lights to last much longer, going back to ohio and getting day jobs, but luckily they pulled through and made a pretty amazing album in my opinion. Their sound I think has differed quite greatly since This is a stick up was released, the guitars are heavier and the vocals sound notably different (just as good as colin in my opinion but in a different way). The chorus' in this album WILL stick in your head for every single track. They also have two cover songs which can be purchased from iTunes or downloaded from their myspace, which are covers I wouldn't expect from this band. The warrior by Scandal, and How will I know by whitney heuston are the covers, these are brilliant in my opinion, exept they didn't bother changing the lyrics for the whitney song so nick kinda sounds like he is singing about another guy, but hey that's fine by me. Overall I think this bands sound has improved soo much over the past few years so I'm going to give a very high score for this section. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are neither great or poor, usually with a pop punk band you need clever, metaphorical lyrics galore, this HAS them, but just not enough in my opinion. One of the songs though; Drop the girl, is an ANTHEM for any guy that has a girl messing him about, it is guaranteed to make you feel good! and 'Stay out' is perfect when on a drive with your friends late at night "Stay out all night, cos rest is for the dead!" awesome stuff... and very very catchy. The themes are all very similar the whole way through; Love, growing up, friendship. But that's fine because the point of this album is to make you feel good and it passes that with flying colours. Nick really pulled this album off well and I am so glad he stepped up or hit the lights wouldn't exist anymore, and his voice suits the heavier tone really well. I'm going to give this section a 7 however because of the lack of variety in the themes. // 7

Overall Impression: This is one to keep for the summer when driving around with your friends on a hot summer night, the chorus' are definatley catchy, but to be fair they won't stick in your head forever unless you are a superfan. The most impressive songs on the album are; Drop the girl: my favorite because of the sheer catchiness of the lyrics and the whole song in general. Stay Out: for the fun factor and truth behind the lyrics. Backbreaker: For that riff, that's all I need to say, and Statues for the soaring chorus that will blow your mind. Also Count it! (the intro track) is a perfect start to the album because it tells about their journeys on the road and how hard it is to be in a band, and I've seen them live and they opened with that, and the noise from the crowd singing along was breathtaking. If my computer broke and I lost the Album forever, I would definatley buy it again, it's one of my favorites. // 8

Comments