Live Through This review by Hole

• Released: Apr 12, 1994
Hole: Live Through This

I bought this album at the same time as Celebrity Skin and I put the latter on first. But I soon got a little bored so I put this one on. From the opening chords of Violet I was hooked. It starts softly as Courtney practically whispers "and the sky was made of amethyst", and then rips her throat open, screaming, "you should learn how to say no". The song proceed to rock out like Smells Like Teen Spirit with venom. But it's not just Violet that excels on this CD. Miss World is poppier, but offers complete juxtaposition between the suicidal lyrics and the electro-acoustic soft guitar. Plump, She Walks On Me and Gutless are excellent slices of punky grunge, with bullet vocals and pounding riffs. At the other end of the spectrum, Doll Parts offers haunting melody and Softer Softest is just that, until the end of the song when it suddenly rocks out. The album finishes with Rock Star, a song ridiculing the Olympia music scene with its false starts and false endings. And you will be gagging for more. Sadly, there isn't much more like this in Hole's back catalogue, but Beautiful Son and 20 Years In The Dakota (from the rarities collection My Body The Hand Grenade) are pretty damn good.