Live Through This Review

artist: Hole date: 01/12/2009 category: compact discs
Hole: Live Through This
Released: Apr 12, 1994
Genre: Rock
Tones: Angry, Bleak, Cathartic, Cynical, Earnest, Eerie, Druggy, Detached, Earthy, Rowdy, Brash, Rousing, Rollicking, Fiery, Sleazy
Styles: Grunge, Alternative Pop/Rock
 9.6
 9.2
Live Through This Reviewed by: ElectricParade, on may 28, 2004

Sound: I'd listened to Hole for a while before I got Live Through This for my last birthday, but even so, I was delightfully shocked by the sound. Courtney Love's distinctive raspy vocals blend beautifully, if brash, against the heaving distortion guitar on 90% of the album, and songs like "Violet", "Plump", and "Gutless" prove it. However, Live Through This exudes a softer, more depressed side as well, through songs like "Softer, Softest", a melancholy tune written by Love about herself. The album is Hole's most diverse, and all of the instruments and vocals on the album support each other in a great way, which is why I feel compelled to give Live Through This a 5 for sound. // 10

Lyrics: In relation to the songs, I don't think the lyrics could have been better. As with her vocals, Courtney Love has an extremely distinctive style of songwriting which adds maturity, yet a longing for youth to Live Through This. She attacks various situations and people (the grunge music scene, her father, etc) but maintains a passionate sound in both vocals and lyrics, to create the unmistakable noise that is Live Through This. // 10

Overall Impression: If I were to pit Live Through This against my other albums(by other artists), It would definitley come out in the top five (if not three). I adore all of the songs on the album, but my all time favorite is probably "Gutless", followed by "Rock Star", "Softer Softest", and "Violet". If I had to pick something I hated, I'd have to say it's my inability to "properly" sing along! The whole band contributes immensly to make this my favorite of Hole's discs. If I lost it, yeah, you'd better believe I'd go buy it again! And I personally think you should, too! Live Through This a classic grunge album that truly captures the essence of grunge music of 1994. // 10

Live Through This Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 25, 2003

Overall Impression: I bought this album at the same time as Celebrity Skin and I put the latter on first. But I soon got a little bored so I put this one on. From the opening chords of Violet I was hooked. It starts softly as Courtney practically whispers "and the sky was made of amethyst", and then rips her throat open, screaming, "you should learn how to say no". The song proceed to rock out like Smells Like Teen Spirit with venom. But it's not just Violet that excels on this CD. Miss World is poppier, but offers complete juxtaposition between the suicidal lyrics and the electro-acoustic soft guitar. Plump, She Walks On Me and Gutless are excellent slices of punky grunge, with bullet vocals and pounding riffs. At the other end of the spectrum, Doll Parts offers haunting melody and Softer Softest is just that, until the end of the song when it suddenly rocks out. The album finishes with Rock Star, a song ridiculing the Olympia music scene with its false starts and false endings. And you will be gagging for more. Sadly, there isn't much more like this in Hole's back catalogue, but Beautiful Son and 20 Years In The Dakota (from the rarities collection My Body The Hand Grenade) are pretty damn good. // 8

Live Through This Reviewed by: Longlivpunkrock, on january 12, 2004

Sound: The sound of the first of the two hole CD's has a slightly harsher sound to it. Live Through This doesn't have the softness and thoughtful lyrics that Celebritry Skin does, replacing it with head-banging all out rock. It doesn't really do anything new with rock but it still sounds great. // 8

Lyrics: Although the lyrics of Celebrity Skin are more personal the lyrics of Live thorugh this range from bizare (violet) to as thoughtful and sad as Celebrity Skin (Miss World) The lyrics in Live Through This were the first lyrics I looked up on the internet. Courtney Love delivers the lyrics according to the song perfectly. She has no problem singing a soft song and the harsh rasp of her voice contributes to the overall sound of the rockier songs. // 10

Overall Impression: Live Through This is a great CD to pick up. If you get both this and Celebrity skin you will hear the difference that I was talking about. Overall a great CD. The most impressive song on the disc is Violet. If I lost this CD I would definitely go pick up another one right away. Check out Live Through This. Peace Out. // 8

Live Through This Reviewed by: MJsPYT1362, on january 12, 2009

Sound: I think the sound from this album is fantastic. It's incredible how Courtney Love can sing angry, grungy songs with a raspy voice like "Violet" or "Rock Star" and then add a ton of feeling and sadness into slower songs like "Asking For It" or "Softer, Softest".You can totally tell she was singing about things from personal experience. // 10

Lyrics: The music and lyrics were a perfect pair. For example, in "Asking for It" the way she sings "... every time that I stare into the sun, angel dust and my dress just comes undone... " and then have a heavy distortion in the guitar and have her screaming "... every time that I stare into the sun, be a model or just look like one... " is perfect. Courtney Love has a fantastic way of adding feeling to songs with her grungy raspy voice. // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to other Hole albums, I think "Live Through This" gives you an inside look to Courtney Love's heart and the way she expresses things. This is a really emotion album. I loved it! The most impressive songs I think are "Violet", "Asking For It", "Miss World" and more. I just can't decide on some, it's almost all of them. I love her voice, I love her music, I love the way she writes the lyrics. I would totally buy this album again if it got lost or stolen. // 10

Comments