My Body The Hand Grenade Review

Hole: My Body The Hand Grenade
Released: Oct 28, 1997
Label: City Slang
Genres: Alternative Pop/Rock, Grunge, Riot Grrrl
While the rarity value of this music certainly makes it interesting, the music itself is pretty average, with the dreck outweighing the good stuff.
 9.7
 9.3
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
My Body The Hand Grenade Reviewed by: SugarComa, on september 25, 2005

Sound: My Body The Hand Grenade has a very raw sound on tracks like "Turpentine," "Drown Soda" or even on "Burn Black." By raw I mean full of screams and power, yet not studio crafted or perfected on over 75% of the songs. There are also songs on this album taken from the MTV Unplugged session. "He Hit Me" a Carole King cover that Courtney gives every effort to portray in her voice what the song is about to her. The song I'm basing my love for this album on is "20 Years In The Dakota," which I find to be one of the best sounding songs on this album. It has a certain edge to it I really can't describe. I can only suggest listening to it and forming your own opinion. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics of Hole are in my opinion some of the best ever written. This is based on a bias since Hole is one of my favourite bands, but other than that they are deep, insightful at times and above all easy to relate to. Courtney has impressive lyrical style, she says what she wants and it's obvious she isn't worried if her fans can relate to it, for example in the song "Beautiful Son" she sings, "He had ribbons in his hair, and lipstick was everywhere," which isn't necessarily going to drag everyone in, but the way it's expressed and sung along with the melody, chords, bass, and drums is a sure way to pull the listener in. // 10

Overall Impression: My Body The Hand Grenade is a definate purchase if you're a Hole fan not only because it has a variety of songs on it, but also because it has songs that are meaningful and melodic. Even if you have never listened to Hole I suggest buying this over Live Through This or Celebrity Skin because of the variety you get a taste of the many sounds of Hole. I recently found out I scratched my CD, honestly I'm buying a new one if I can't fix it because this CD is that good. Even if you are against Hole (for whatever reasons) try this CD out because it's surprisingly different than their three full length studio albums. I find MBTHG is pulled together well because of the mix of songs on it. Even if you don't like it, you can always sell it to me since I'm now looking for a new copy. If you are already a Hole fan, then buy it just for the live version of "Asking For It" one of the best live Hole songs I've heard. // 9

Comments