American Tragedy review by Hollywood Undead

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: Apr 5, 2011
  • Sound: 9
  • Lyrics: 7
  • Overall Impression: 8
  • Reviewer's score: 8 Superb
  • Users' score: 6.9 (74 votes)
Hollywood Undead: American Tragedy
1

Sound — 9
Beginning the album, Been to Hell easily recognizes Hollywood Undead's true roots of self-superiority, and may foreshadow that it could be their new concert starter, rather than Undead, bringing in the same tone gang-vocals shouting 'Been to Hell' during the chorus and 'Welcome,' at phrase endings. Due to the removal of Deuce, the band's chorus singer, they recruit Danny Murillo, who doesn't do a bad job filling the prior singer's shoes. Fans of the old Hollywood Undead shouldn't be too upset over the change. One of the singles "Comin' in Hot," is the same trademark HU with the verses about drinking, smoking and partying, with a catchy chorus to please. Which, alike the last album, they spend half the album as the split personality, drinking and partying, and the other half about serious deep feelings and personal disputes with themselves and others. "Lights Out," is an attack at Deuce for his actions, proved by even mentioning his name in the song. It's also a reply to Deuce's song: "Story of a Snitch," by his solo project. "Bullet," has the contradicting tone with quick, happy go lucky clean guitar, rim clicks and major themed bass line sounding almost like a nursey rhyme, with vocal patterns and tones set-to-smile, with the lyrics portraying a quite the opposite feeling; Severe depression, with multiple descriptions on ways to commit suicide, like overdosing on pills, drinking to death, bullet to the head and legs dangling off the edge. They even have a little girl sing out the last of the song by herself with a xylophone accompanying her.

Lyrics — 7
Hollywood Undead always has their own way with lyrics. On this album, it doesn't necessarily copy Swan Songs, but keeps the same tone. Drinking and partying, suffering and depression. But it's what fans like them for, and it's what they preach best. Singers remain the same, aside from Danny. Charlie Scene once again steps up as the bands bad-ass and party lover, being referenced in a few places. J-Dog chimes in a few times, even while having to do most of the other instrumental work. Da Kurlzz sticks with percussion and shouts when needed. Funny Man, Johnny 3 Tears and Charlie remain the main rappers while Danny sings the chorus'. None do a too bad job. They keep the ratio of rapping time the same as the last album, Funny Man having his own spotlight behind J3T and Charlie.

Overall Impression — 8
I wouldn't say it mimics their last album, but rather takes it, patches it up, and makes it better. It keeps it rap-rock, which means HU haven't strayed from their roots. The songs that stick out are "Bullet," "Coming Back Down," "Hear Me Now," and "Been to Hell." They have individuality which creates a connection with the listeners and critics. I love the energy and diverseness. Especially with having Danny, the obstacle didn't slow them down or change them for the worse. They kept it how they liked it, and that's how the general Hollywood Undead listeners love it. There's nothing I really hate about it. It's all different and nothing sounds the same. It's original by HU standards, and really shows there swag, bark, and expression. I would get it again if it was misplaced or damaged, because it's got those songs you have to listen to every now and then, or your iTunes arsenal just doesn't feel the same.

29 comments sorted by best / new / date

    Amaseng
    This band is terrible, I saw them with Avenged Sevenfold and half of the members don't even do anything. They could sack three of the members and there would be no difference in sound.
    EpiExplorer
    Kenjisan231 wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: Kenjisan231 wrote: I am not going to proclaim to be the best band ever, but they are good. I feel they are stigmatized for the fact that they 'rap' when I feel the term discredits them entirely. First and foremost I don't listen to rap, or hip hop, but I do listen to this. I won't say they are in the category of linken park but they have that style, and if you actually listen to their previous album, they are good songs with good lyrics. Moreover they have an energy when you listen to them, in ways you can feel the anger in their voices, thus conveying emotion quite effectively. I havn't listened to all of this album, but i've listened to swan songs numerous times, and while a few songs about partying (california) most of the songs convey each of their experiences. If you havn't noticed what I am getting at, they have the same lyrical content as every other band, and they do a good job, the guitar is simple but effective, I like that they use actual drums. You have a right to your opinion, but I don't find it valid by simple one lined troll comments, or insults on ones punctuation or grammer as a reason for discredit. But like I said, just my opinion, no one is ever really right. Admirable, but why defend a turd? I'm pretty sure turds dont have feelings so they wouldn't need defending in any case. Or are you just upset? "People who trivially defend their bands on teh internetz are fools" I'm sure you will recognize that, I think you are using the work 'trivially' in the wrong context. I won't draw this out further defending them, as your ignorance will put a stopper in it. Seeing as how you have repeatedly checked this article (confirmed by multiple posts) I can only deduce you derive some sort of pleasure of doing whatever it is you do. I could point out the hypocrisy of your ideals, but they are plainly observable. Unfortunatly, both your and my statements loose all importance in the context of which we present. By quantifying you behavior would even further push any quarrel we may have into a black hole of stupidity. I usually ignore the overly-blatent attempts to poke the bear, but I feel like commenting on one's ever persistent attempts to hate everything and anything that they, themselves do not considered important, the ways of society are heading for a sad day my friend.
    Hey, you're still doing it, I wonder if you even understand half of what you posted. Better yet, you sound like the people on Memebase where everything is a mathematics joke or a grammar nazi attack written in overly hyperboled language. My point still stands, why defend your precious, precious turd?
    pedromiles101
    cdayrocks wrote: r u kidding me people hollywood undead is awesome im not into rap by any stretch of the imagination im a guitar player some on but i have the swan songs album on disc and i bought the desperate measures album on itunes i like the music its fun to try to rap to plus i have friends who legitimately can rap so its fun to jam with them on their songs.
    yay for lack of punctuation
    Kenjisan231
    I am not going to proclaim to be the best band ever, but they are good. I feel they are stigmatized for the fact that they 'rap' when I feel the term discredits them entirely. First and foremost I don't listen to rap, or hip hop, but I do listen to this. I won't say they are in the category of linken park but they have that style, and if you actually listen to their previous album, they are good songs with good lyrics. Moreover they have an energy when you listen to them, in ways you can feel the anger in their voices, thus conveying emotion quite effectively. I havn't listened to all of this album, but i've listened to swan songs numerous times, and while a few songs about partying (california) most of the songs convey each of their experiences. If you havn't noticed what I am getting at, they have the same lyrical content as every other band, and they do a good job, the guitar is simple but effective, I like that they use actual drums. You have a right to your opinion, but I don't find it valid by simple one lined troll comments, or insults on ones punctuation or grammer as a reason for discredit. But like I said, just my opinion, no one is ever really right.
    Kenjisan231
    EpiExplorer wrote: Kenjisan231 wrote: I am not going to proclaim to be the best band ever, but they are good. I feel they are stigmatized for the fact that they 'rap' when I feel the term discredits them entirely. First and foremost I don't listen to rap, or hip hop, but I do listen to this. I won't say they are in the category of linken park but they have that style, and if you actually listen to their previous album, they are good songs with good lyrics. Moreover they have an energy when you listen to them, in ways you can feel the anger in their voices, thus conveying emotion quite effectively. I havn't listened to all of this album, but i've listened to swan songs numerous times, and while a few songs about partying (california) most of the songs convey each of their experiences. If you havn't noticed what I am getting at, they have the same lyrical content as every other band, and they do a good job, the guitar is simple but effective, I like that they use actual drums. You have a right to your opinion, but I don't find it valid by simple one lined troll comments, or insults on ones punctuation or grammer as a reason for discredit. But like I said, just my opinion, no one is ever really right. Admirable, but why defend a turd? I'm pretty sure turds dont have feelings so they wouldn't need defending in any case. Or are you just upset?
    "People who trivially defend their bands on teh internetz are fools" I'm sure you will recognize that, I think you are using the work 'trivially' in the wrong context. I won't draw this out further defending them, as your ignorance will put a stopper in it. Seeing as how you have repeatedly checked this article (confirmed by multiple posts) I can only deduce you derive some sort of pleasure of doing whatever it is you do. I could point out the hypocrisy of your ideals, but they are plainly observable. Unfortunatly, both your and my statements loose all importance in the context of which we present. By quantifying you behavior would even further push any quarrel we may have into a black hole of stupidity. I usually ignore the overly-blatent attempts to poke the bear, but I feel like commenting on one's ever persistent attempts to hate everything and anything that they, themselves do not considered important, the ways of society are heading for a sad day my friend.
    J Krist
    There are people out there that actually like this... our education system really is failing.
    Vinushka
    For quite possibly the first time ever, I'm gonna have to agree with Epi.
    SumFX
    They are still around?.....Christ.
    F I C T I O N wrote: Fuck this. These guys suck.
    This
    cdayrocks
    r u kidding me people hollywood undead is awesome im not into rap by any stretch of the imagination im a guitar player some on but i have the swan songs album on disc and i bought the desperate measures album on itunes i like the music its fun to try to rap to plus i have friends who legitimately can rap so its fun to jam with them on their songs.
    EpiExplorer
    Kenjisan231 wrote: I am not going to proclaim to be the best band ever, but they are good. I feel they are stigmatized for the fact that they 'rap' when I feel the term discredits them entirely. First and foremost I don't listen to rap, or hip hop, but I do listen to this. I won't say they are in the category of linken park but they have that style, and if you actually listen to their previous album, they are good songs with good lyrics. Moreover they have an energy when you listen to them, in ways you can feel the anger in their voices, thus conveying emotion quite effectively. I havn't listened to all of this album, but i've listened to swan songs numerous times, and while a few songs about partying (california) most of the songs convey each of their experiences. If you havn't noticed what I am getting at, they have the same lyrical content as every other band, and they do a good job, the guitar is simple but effective, I like that they use actual drums. You have a right to your opinion, but I don't find it valid by simple one lined troll comments, or insults on ones punctuation or grammer as a reason for discredit. But like I said, just my opinion, no one is ever really right.
    Admirable, but why defend a turd? I'm pretty sure turds dont have feelings so they wouldn't need defending in any case. Or are you just upset?
    Kenjisan231
    EpiExplorer Wrote: My point still stands, why defend your precious, precious turd?[/quote] Hyperbole is the use of exaggeration for effect (of which I didn't do. Hyperbole example: "I could eat a horse" Do I like mathematics jokes: yes Do I make them: no Grammar Nazi?: No ANYWAY I hardly doubt you hate this band so much that you made a point to bother anyone who does. Your obviously intelligent, if only wrongly informed, and you are quite good with your insults. I had more hope you were more than that but once again I am dissapointed. I can only assume you perpetuate this behavior across numerous websites where there is the possibility you just like screwing with people, or you are so pretentious and so self centered that you believe only the music you listen to to be important and good, or both. I answer your question with a question. Why do you make a point to ask people why they defend their bands. Assuming your opinion is that you think its stupid or pointless to, then you are defending an aspect just as I am even if you are more subtle. Whether or not you realize this, just because you do not like something, it doesn't make it bad and it saddens me because its a negative aspect with music. However I don't think your point was to not like this band, rather just insult and be irritatingly condescending (which I suppose was the point). I know I like this band, and I know they have talent, what you say is your own opinion and I won't try to change it. But I was never really defending them, rather bringing your actions to light. The world could use people like you, and music could use people like you if you didn't make it your duty to get an arrise out of individuals. Whats the point? I assume you enjoy music and play an instrument and get enjoyment out of it, im sure music has brought you joy unmatched by many other activities, so why use it as a weapon? Maybe you don't care about any of that though, maybe you still just think I'm an idiot and will continue to harass me until you loose interest. So now I will ask a similar question, why do you insult peoples interest and talk to them in ways you know will aggrivate them? Its not because you hate this band so much because if you did you would have pointed out specific examples of things you didn't like and don't try now its too late. Again, I am not defending them specifically, if I wanted to defend every band that got trashed on here I would be a much angrier person. I welcome anyone's opinion, but you were never giving your opinion, at least that is the way it seems. But I could be wrong about all of this, and in any case, in my opinion, you could do a lot more with your talent if you put yourself above this.
    cdayrocks
    sorry fo the random some on "some on" i dont quite know where my head was at but i am looking forward to hearing this
    Vash_15
    They're not bad for what they are. But in a larger scope, they're definitely nothing short of craptastic.
    GibbonWolf
    "It's all different and nothing sounds the same. It's original by HU standards, and really shows there swag, bark, and expression." There? Seems legit.
    Lohnanmilitia
    I'm sorry, these guys amuse the shit out of me. I Loved the new album. Lights out and been to hell rock!
    Vash_15
    I do like the tracks Don Gilmore did. They might not be good artists, but he's a DAMN good producer.