American Tragedy review by Hollywood Undead

• Released: Apr 5, 2011
Hollywood Undead: American Tragedy

The very first song I heard by Hollywood Undead was "Dead in Ditches" and ever since then, I fell in love with them. The way they write their lyrics and the way all of them sing together on certain songs make them what they are. I've been a fan of Hollywood Undead right before The Producer left. Most people hated that change, but I accepted it, knowing that Hollywood Undead would pull through. However, when I heard that Deuce was leaving to pursue a solo career, I thought to my self, "I'm stuck with Swan Songs and Desperate Measures. No new Hollywood Undead" However, when I heard that a new HU song was coming out, I went apes**t. I learned more about the new singer, Danny, and discovered his background. Then I learned that more songs were coming out, and then I waited 6 months for American Tragedy. My wait was not wasted. I love this CD. Some songs kind of sound like something out of Swan Songs, but a lot of them have their own vibe to them. Ok. Maybe "vibe" wasn't the right word there. Feel maybe? I'm not sure. Now, would I say I like every song on the CD? No. Out of the 14 tracks on this CD, I don't like maybe 2 or 3. The topic matter on the CD does vary greatly, I will give them that. You have one song; we'll take "Bullet" for example. "Bullet" has a light guitar riff, and sounds happy, but it's about suicide and hurting yourself. Then you have "Levitate" (my personal favorite) which you can kind of say is a love song, but I also view it as a song about hope.

Lyrically, the CD is smooth. There are some songs that don't have smooth lyrics and they sound sketchy. Not on this CD. No way. I've already mentioned the way their songs can vary topically. But the intro track and outro track, "Been to Hell" and "Tendencies", kind of introduce the CD and also tie it all up. I can definitely see "Been to Hell" as a concert opener, as I suspected that it would be the first track before I saw the track listing. Another thing I would like to mention on the CD is the way that all of their songs like to stay consistent, and in some ways tell a story. One fair example is the song "Apologize". Charlie raps about smelling of weed odor at the beginning of the song, and then towards the end mentions fighting, saying this lyric, "I'll punch you in the d**k at the end of the fight and I won't say I'm sorry at the end of the night" If you listen to the whole song, you will understand the point that I am trying to make.

Overall, this is a very good CD. I know I've repeated myself a couple times during this review, and I apologize for that. If you need something to kind of party to or rock out by yourself, then I would definitly give this a look into. If you're not familiar with Hollywood Undead at all, I would recommend, (off this CD), "Been to Hell", "Levitate", "Coming Back Down", "Hear me Now", and "Tendencies". If you wanted to check out some songs off of their first CD that I mentioned, Swan Songs, then check these tracks out. "Undead", "Young", "No. 5", and "Paradise Lost".