American Tragedy review by Hollywood Undead

• Released: Apr 5, 2011
Hollywood Undead: American Tragedy

The album starts with the kick in the face track "Been To Hell". J-Dog said that the song is "the truth about what really happens to people when they move to L.A., to be actors or models or God knows what other delusions people have... Failure. It's all too true, but most people aren't there to see it first-hand. But we are, so it's our interpretation of it all." Another noticeable song in the album is "Hear Me Now", the lead single from the album. Is about the story of a person who is depressed and hopeless, taking a very somber tone to the track. "Lights Out" is Hollywood Undead's response to their former member, Deuce's song "Story Of A Snitch", with the track referencing Deuce by name. "Bullet", the eleventh track on the album is about a man committing suicide. It has an upbeat tempo with energetic vocals, which gives contrast to the dark, lyrical themes. The song also includes an xylophone playing and has a little girl singing at the end.

Some of the lyrics on the song are very deep and affecting. "S.C.A.V.A.", the last track on the Deluxe Edition on the album is about the world ending in 2012. Synyster Gates, the lead guitarist from Avenged Sevenfold, was quoted as saying "Holy sh-t, that's the craziest verse I've ever heard! The lyrics are insane", in response to the lyrics of "S.C.A.V.A." A lot less of the lyrics in the album are about sex and drugs, unlike "Swan Songs". Which might mean that the group are starting to become more serious.

I think that this album is HU's best one yet. Songs like "Bullet" and "I Don't Wanna Die" really got to me. "Le Deux" is also a very energetic song, which I think would be good at parties. Although some bad things about the album is that one minute you will have heavily distorted guitars and screaming about death and then the next you will have them rapping about f--king a woman. Another bad thing is that the band just uses the same layout for every song: rapped verses, and then a clean chorus. So to sum it up, this album shows that Hollywood Undead are ready to take anything on, they are not affected a little bit by the departure of Deuce. They are out to kick-a-s.

C.O.B.
    I think that by far this is their best album. I really like Bullet and Coming Back Down though the other songs on this album are also very good. Me and my freind spend hours listening to it.