Crisis In Utopia review by Holy Grail

• Released: Oct 26, 2010
Holy Grail: Crisis In Utopia

For those not in the know, Holy Grail is a new band who was originally part of the NWOTHM (New Wave of Traditional Heavy Metal) alongside bands such as Cauldron and White Wizzard. The latter of the two especially deserves mention because three out of the five members of Holy Grail are White Wizzard alumni, casualties of WW mainman Jon Leon's inability to keep band members, aka power trip. Singer James Paul Luna, guitarist James J. LaRue, and drummer Tyler Meahl decided to form their own band upon their exit from White Wizzard, where they could have more creative control and play the music they wanted to play. They recruited guitarist Eli Santana and bassist Blake Mount, and the Holy Grail machine took off, and it hasn't slowed down yet. Crisis in Utopia has everything a metal album should offer. The songs are extremely heavy, even occasionally including death growls (courtesy of the death metal-influenced Santana), but they have a melodic sensibility and catchy riffs as well. Guitarists LaRue and Santana are extremely skilled riffers, writing songs that grab your attention with the first intro riff and hold it until the end. Although the riffs are very strong, it is the solos on which the duo truly shine, LaRue in particular bringing out blistering classically-influenced leads. Meahl's powerful double-bass drumming style isn't too varied, but the music requires a beat reminiscent of thunder, and on that Meahl certainly delivers. The bass is somewhat buried in the mix, but it is still audible and well-performed. As a whole, the instrumentation on this album is very accomplished and professional.

Three words: James Paul Luna. The man is, quite simply, a great vocalist. His voice has a tough quality about it that is hard to find among traditional metal vocalists, while still attaining the high-range vocal sound that is compulsory for old-school metal. While I love singers like Bruce Dickinson or Timo Kotipelto, to achieve anything close to their vocal style most males would have to put their balls in a mouse trap. Luna's voice is not like that at all. On Improper Burial his voice sounds reminiscent of Kevin Heybourne of Angel Witch (not that it's a bad thing, far from it, but it helped keep them squarely in the NWOTHM category). However, over the course of a year, his voice has evolved considerably and now can best be described as a cross between Rob Halford and The Legacy-era Chuck Billy, but this doesn't do him justice. The sheer power in his vocals is undeniable. The lyrics are an interesting mix of fantasy-medieval (Fight to Kill, Immortal Man), revenge/violence My Last Attack), rising up against oppression (Hollow Ground) and emotional (Requiem). The title track is about the apocalypse, but they bring a new flavor to a regular metal theme which is often rehashed and beaten into oblivion. I find the lyrics to be empowering or thought-provoking, no thoughtless stupidity to be found here. Altogether, I find the lyrical content of the album to be fitting with the music, and Luna delivers a winning performance that earns him a place with the greats.

Crisis in Utopia was released this year on October 26, and it shows a band that has grown a long way from their humble NWOTHM roots and created a sound that may be uniquely theirs. EP Improper Burial, released in 2009, showcases 2 1980's-reminicent originals, which although a joy to listen to and bringing back the feeling of classic metal bands such as Angel Witch and Accept, sometimes reminds the listeners of White Wizzard's High Speed GTO EP (featuring Luna, LaRue, and Meahl). While Improper Burial is straight-up NWOTHM, Crisis in Utopia seems to cobble together the best attributes of traditional metal, thrash, and power metal with a very light hint of melo-death in an epic combination, and never while listening to it do the words "White Wizzard" come to mind. Another impressive thing about Holy Grail is their work ethic. Since the release of Improper Burial last year, they have done three full-length American tours opening Exodus, Amon Amarth, and 3 Inches of Blood, and at the time of this writing (November 25, 2010), they are in the middle of another one as direct support for Blind Guardian (I have seen them on all of their tours to date). They have also made various European festival appearances during the summer. This astounding amount of effort has already gotten them a lot of exposure in the metal world, and it shows them to be a band that really and truly is willing to work for their success. Also, the band is composed of nice, down-to-earth guys who talk to the fans, get to know them, and make time for them. I will justify my high ratings on this album thus: I am not one who believes in giving every decent album a 9 or 10 score. I think a good solid album deserves a 7. This album goes beyond good and solid, and I gave the scores I gave because I truly believe that the album deserves them. It is simply that good. In closing, I will say that Holy Grail is poised to be one of the greatest of the new metal bands, and Crisis in Utopia has set them well along that path.

CapnKickass
    I'm liking this album for the most part so far. Love the solo on the song crisis in Utopia.
    adeliq
    Really loving the album. Seeing them for the 2nd time on the 1st. They are easily my favourite "new" band.
    MegaFilth90
    I couldn't agree with this review more. In all the crap new music and bands that have come out lately, this cd is a sign of hope lol. Sure some of the riffs aren't amazing or catchy, but they aren't bad. I find this cd hard to "wear out", just great music.
    iammclovin
    Saw them with Amon Amarth and Eluveitie back in March, put on a really great show.
    EpiExplorer
    Read these guys in Terrorizer, nice bunch. ''180 riffs and only 3 are good, but hey, 3 are good!''
    vai's disciple
    im glad im not the only person using the term new wave of traditional heavy metal this new movement needs to be recognized as a new sub-genre imo
    vai's disciple
    sorry just realized how off topic that^ was i bought the album from itunes the day it was released, i loved it but i wish it was more white wizzard-ish. i think its easy to hear the more current metal style coming through all of what should have been(in my opinion) a more traditional sounding record.
    Razorshadow
    Hey cool. I seen these guys last night with Blind Guardian. They were pretty good.
    Priestfeast
    To tell the truth when I saw them live at Download and listened to their 4 song EP 'Improper Buriel' I hoped the album would have a more traditional sound. I felt a tadge disappointed with the more modern direction. I waited half a year for it so excited about the release. Anyway it is looking from it at a more modern perspective an absolutly phenomenal record that deserved more from the media. It has successfully merged modern metal with trad metalm, if more people heard them they would be loved by a lot of people. They are no ordinary trad-metal band they are a band who I could imagine will change a lot like Judas Priest did over the years. Their music will evolve and will hopefully give way to a breakthrough period in their careers.
    Freddiez79
    I've seen these guys 3 times in the last year each time was better than the last. They have replaced James J. LaRue with Alex Lee from Bonded By Blood which i think is a great addition to the band. The new album is even better all 2 of the 3 shows i saw were in support of the new album its just good live. check it out "Ride The Void" great band!