The Reason review by Hoobastank

• Released: Dec 9, 2003
Hoobastank: The Reason

I love the sound of this album. When I heard the first single "Out of Control" I knew this album was going to be worth it. I loved the riffs, the lyrics...just the powere behind it. It's a tad different, less effects (not a whole lot less there still are some), more driven guitar with distortion/overdrive. it's great. I like the way Dan switches between his riffs with the picking (nice practice once someone begins to tab some of these songs) for the verses and the chords he does for the chorus (he does this with every one of the songs just about I believe). It sounds a lot like their last album in a sense, so if you like it, you'll love this one too. They also bring in the acoustic guitar for some of the tracks, and that works out just right with the songs they used it for. Personally, I like this album more then their last album. I love the faster tracks with the nice beats and powerful chords.

I think Doug did well with the lyrics on this album. They are most definetly catchy, I've been humming them everywhere I go (when not listening to the CD). They basically all deal with relationships, but I think he developed a little bit on what he or someone could feel, it's really easy to connect with his lyrics and perhaps find yourself in a same situation or when you were in that situation.

In my eyes, this album is better than their debut album. I've seen them live once already, and I will be seeing them on tour with LP, POD, and Story of the Year when the tour opens on January 16. I think as of right now, I'm really looking forward to seeing them again rock the stage with tracks from this CD. I love all the tracks, except "lucky" and "from the heart," don't get me wrong, they aren't bad songs, I just don't get the vibe from them I get from the other tracks. If it were lost or stolen, man that person would have hell to pay. I'd certainly issue a manhunt and then when that's over use the money I find off of him to buy the album again. I think it's most definitely worth buying if you are a Hoobastank fan. So go and buy it!