The Reason review by Hoobastank

• Released: Dec 9, 2003
Hoobastank: The Reason

Hoobastank in their new worl have done a very good job.Even though their long-time bassist left the band Paul Bushnell and Chris Cheney filled his place as far as recording is concerned. The Gibsons, Fenders and Paul Reed Smiths that they used sound really nice and so does the accordion and jazz flute they used in "more than a memory" song trying some new things setting a vibe for the song. Their songs are no more "plain rock" but have an alternation of genres, not being the same thing over and over.

Doug Robb has improved his skills in both singing and lyris writing. His lyrics have now some depth, especially the "Don't Tell Me" track with the remarkable "What you say will be forgoten some day" verse. The songs escape from the emotional-relationship mood they had in Hoobastank's previous album and now treat diffrent subjects as well. Still has room for getting better though.

It's a really diffrent album than "The Reason" which will set their bar to a higher level. I liked "Don't Tell Me" for it's depth, "Moving Forward" and "Without A Fight" for their sound. As I said it's a nice album and hope they will make more like this and even better. If this alboum was stolen or destroyed I'd defenitely buy it again and again and again (ok, maybe not a third time, but I would buy it again if it got stolen).

FungusInMyMilk
    I disagree. I used to think this band was terrible (having only heard 'the reason' on the radio. The other Day i accidentally had media player on random and it played a track from this album, and im slowly starting to get into them, the're pretty good. Not worth a 9 or a 10, but definitely not 'disgusting', 'appaling' or 'atrocious'
    jy9626
    What's so bad about "The Reason" song? For me, when i first heard it, it was one of the finest ballad rock songs i've ever heard. Just because the song's about love, you can't say that the song is 'bad'.