The Mechanical Hand review by HORSE the band

• Released: Sep 20, 2005
HORSE the band: The Mechanical Hand

You can tell by the genre "Nintendocore" (a name that HORSE the band eschew, but only enough so the can still make money off it) that The Mechanical Hand is not going to be for everyone. On the one hand, it should please the metalhands, because some of it is brutal. "A million exploding suns" stays true to its title, steadily gaining energy and power and climaxing in a huge ball of mind-boggling fire. On the other hand, this album really is packed to the brim with keyboard. You can tell in the production that the guitar really has taken a back seat, with frankly dull production. The nintendo-inspired synths are shiny and obvious, which will anger the metal-heads but will delight - dare I say it - the nerds. One particular point of interest is track 4, The House of Boo. This is an odd track because it does something absoloutely joyous and fresh to me: It has virtually no structure. It is one massive string of brutallity and fear, topped of with a little mellow platformer cool-down. Whilst the sound is quite frankly stupid, I am very attatched to it. Perhaps it is just me linking it to the time i started listening to horse, but the albums feels very summer-like to me, which is rare with metal bands.

Bird... OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Wow, the lyrics. Like the sound, it's a case of "love 'em or hate 'em". I am personally addicted to the words (although they are sometimes difficult to decipher with Nathan Winnekes shouting/singing/screaming). Some of the lyrics really tickle me, for example, on House of Boo "I fear my blankets may not be the best/ defences that I could muster!". I hate to mention the Nintendo References, because they are used as metaphors by Nathan, but they will appeal to - dare I say it again - the nerds. But hey, whatever makes money, right?

I am a sensible music fan, I know good from bad. And whilst there are so many terrible things about this album (the horrible, unfitting instrumental track "Heroes Die" for a start), I love it with all my heart. The fact that these full-grown men have decided to start a hardcore band with the gimmick of sounding like a NES console truly touches my heart, in an embarrassing way. This is my overall favourite album from horse so far, possibly because "R. Borlax" is simply bad and sounds like it was recorded in a tin can, and that "A Natural Death", whilst having many brilliant songs, is so amazingly misguided the idea of calling it a concept album is laughable. But to be honest, if you're called HORSE the band you can pretty much get away with anything.

becker009
    i suppose that this band embodies much of what people who listen to music "for fun" want. there's a decent amount of talent in this band, but for many, myself included, the novelty will just not cut it. i personally don't agree with calling a "br00tal" breakdown under a keyboard line different or refreshing. Since when was being different necessarily a good thing? Don't get me wrong, Horse is a sweet band, but I liked their older stuff when it wasn't so synthetic. I just like music that takes itself more seriously, and no, I'm not what's wrong with music haha.
    boxcar_smasher
    horse the band is a awesome as hell, and i like how it says in the first review that "hmm eggs" is spoken in a weird voice.... yeah that voice is def. Brak from the show cartoon planet.
    fartsyjoe420
    Heafyman
    HORSE the band are brilliant, I went to see them when they came to NZ on the earth tour and got my ticket signed by the guitarist.
    Anno[fzk]
    fartsyjoe420 wrote: King Krapp wrote: alexanderjames7 wrote: squidgyegg wrote: Modernmusich8er wrote: Do you guy's really take them seriously? I take them seriously. Beneath the novelty exterior is a band that have talent and passion and churn out brilliant music - taking influences from other bands yet managing to not sound like anyone else. well said. Seconded. Thirded. Great band. HTB got me into a totally different style of music than i ever was before. totally original and talented.
    Quartered (by HORSEs). I used to think to that HORSE the Band was a novelty act, but once I gave The Mechanical Hand another spin, I was hooked.
    s k l u b b y
    idk about you guys but this is one of the best cd's i have ever listened to. Every song is amazing in its own way. Whether it be a melody, the tension and resolution, the cool rhythm in an odd time signature, this album has it all for people who like heavy or fast music with diversity. The best part is that its really raw; it maintains the hardcore aspect
    s k l u b b y
    Idk about you guys but this is one of the best cd's i have ever listened to. Everysong on this cd is unique and interesting in their own ways. This cd is great because theres always something different on each track. Whether it be a melody, the tension and the resolution that follows. Or when they have those chugging rhythms behind the odd-time signatures, this album has it all for someone who is into heavy/fast and wants to hear something completely original. The best part in my opinion is that the album isn't overproduced, its ****ing raw and stays true to the hardcore scene.