Elevator review by Hot Hot Heat

• Released: Apr 5, 2005
Hot Hot Heat: Elevator

To my impression this is a great CD, the tracks on it really gives this CD the "Indie" sound. The only bad thing that I can say about this CD is the simplicity of the music instrument playing, but I guess that's part of indie music. Luke Paquin's guitar and Dustin Hawthorne's bass isn't all that mesmerizing, Paul Hawley's drumming seems to lack technique, Steve bay's vocals does get a bit annoying after you listen to it for a long time, but when you put them all together, the sound is great and worth listening to. Some facts that are amusing to me about this CD is how the 13th track to the CD is just 4 seconds of noise. One of the reason of this is because of the whole '13 Unlucky+Elevator=???' thing.

Some lyrics lacks depth (ladies and gentlemen), other's don't make much sense (Jingle Jangle), but on selective tracks such as Middle of nowhere and Running out of time, the lyrics seems to be well thought out and discribes how the artists are feeling. Overall? A bit above mediocre, not good to it's potential. Jingle jangle for example is a very well written song musically, but if the lyrics had a bit working on it could be a lot better. Steve bays has the vocals that are Sandy? I really don't have a word for his style of vocals but I personally think it's beautiful.

For an Indie album, I think it far surpasses bands such as The Arcade Fire, but it is nonetheless not as sucessful. The most impressive songs on a CD is never the singles, but I would like to pick the 06 track No Jokes-Fact, it's not long (39secs) and you really have to listen to it yourself to get it, or maybe it's just me. I don't love it, I don't hate it exactly, it's in that pile of CDs thati listen to when I need to relax, a very easy going and mellow album I would say. If I lost it or it was stolen, I would get another, the songs on it soothes my soul.

oncenfutureidio
    This is a solid album. HHH defiantly evolved their basic sound on Make Up the Breakdown to make it more full. Very well done cd