Elevator Review

Released: Apr 5, 2005
Label: Sire
Genre: Rock
Styles: Indie Rock, Indie Pop
Elevator, Hot Hot Heat's Sire Records debut, is also pretty speedy, burning through 15 tracks in just under 38 minutes.
 Lyrics: 7.3
 8.1
 7.8
 8.4
Elevator Reviewed by: Victoria Z, on october 17, 2005

Sound: I have to totally disagree with the previous review. I only got this CD recently, but it is on high rotation in my collection which is extensive, trust me. The sound is very crisp. I don't know if that is allowed to be used in relation to music, but I love that term. Dave Sardy has a way of getting the crispness across, but yet the sound is exactly like the live sound we here at HHH's gigs. Steve Bays' voice is not 'unbearable', but unique. I really don't see what could be annoying about it. I can think of numerous singers that have more annoying voices. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics is poppy. There seems to be no real depth to them, but that ain't bad. Does anyone really want to listen to a record that makes you want to slash your wrists afterwards? // 8

Overall Impression: I loved the album. I highly recommend it to anyone who loves sardy's work - Jet, et al. Highlights? 'You Owe Me An IOU', 'Shame On You', and 'Elevator' brings the CD to a fabulous close. Overall, Hot Hot Hears "Elevator" is a fantastic CD. It provides me with a perfect start to the day with its boppy music and lyrics. // 8

Elevator Reviewed by: ObscuredByLight, on july 25, 2005

Sound: There's only one word that can truely describe the "sound" of this album - obnoxious. The singer's voice at some points is almost unbearable. The music sounds the same throughout the entire CD. Hot Hot Heat managed to make this a fair rock CD, but just barely. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics written for some of these songs are incredibly dull. The chorus in some songs is repeated enough to make you want to just skip the track. A very few tracks, on the other hand, are very nicely written. // 6

Overall Impression: Listening to this CD all the way through at once can cause a headache. More than half of this album is not near good status. If not for a certain few tracks, this album would be complete poppycock. If you haven't heard Hot Hot Heat at all, try their first album Make Up The Breakdown, it'll leave you with a much better impression. // 6

Elevator Reviewed by: eatitall, on july 19, 2007

Sound: To my impression this is a great CD, the tracks on it really gives this CD the "Indie" sound. The only bad thing that I can say about this CD is the simplicity of the music instrument playing, but I guess that's part of indie music. Luke Paquin's guitar and Dustin Hawthorne's bass isn't all that mesmerizing, Paul Hawley's drumming seems to lack technique, Steve bay's vocals does get a bit annoying after you listen to it for a long time, but when you put them all together, the sound is great and worth listening to. Some facts that are amusing to me about this CD is how the 13th track to the CD is just 4 seconds of noise. One of the reason of this is because of the whole '13 Unlucky+Elevator=???' thing. // 9

Lyrics: Some lyrics lacks depth (ladies and gentlemen), other's don't make much sense (Jingle Jangle), but on selective tracks such as Middle of nowhere and Running out of time, the lyrics seems to be well thought out and discribes how the artists are feeling. Overall? A bit above mediocre, not good to it's potential. Jingle jangle for example is a very well written song musically, but if the lyrics had a bit working on it could be a lot better. Steve bays has the vocals that are Sandy? I really don't have a word for his style of vocals but I personally think it's beautiful. // 8

Overall Impression: For an Indie album, I think it far surpasses bands such as The Arcade Fire, but it is nonetheless not as sucessful. The most impressive songs on a CD is never the singles, but I would like to pick the 06 track No Jokes-Fact, it's not long (39secs) and you really have to listen to it yourself to get it, or maybe it's just me. I don't love it, I don't hate it exactly, it's in that pile of CDs thati listen to when I need to relax, a very easy going and mellow album I would say. If I lost it or it was stolen, I would get another, the songs on it soothes my soul. // 9

Comments