Didn't It Rain review by Hugh Laurie

• Released: May 6, 2013
Hugh Laurie: Didn't It Rain

Hugh Laurie, most known for his role as Dr. House on the TV series "House," has a long musical history beginning with piano lessons as a child. Along the way Hugh Laurie added other instruments to his arsenal including guitar, harmonica, drums, and saxophone. Hugh Laurie became a member of an acting troupe (or club) in college, and this got into the realm of music, drama, comedy and all things in between. From there, he found other places to express himself musically, even playing guitar and organ occasionally on the TV show, "House." He played piano on the Meatloaf track "If I Can't Have You." He released his debut album in 2011, "Let Them Talk," which was primarily a blues album with various musical guests. "Didn't It Rain" is his sophomore release, and while it does continue to explore the blues it also goes into the realm of tango, jazz and R&B. "Didn't It Rain" contains 14 tracks and clocks in at approximately just under one hour. The album opens up with "The St. Louis Blues," which is a blues/jazz standard reinterpreted on the album (as are most of the tracks). "Junkers Blues" is the next track on the album, originally recorded by Champion Jack Dupree, and is faithful into the original but still managing to breathe some life into the track. The third track, "Kiss of Fire," is another classic track, originally made famous in 1952 by Georgia Gibbs. The fourth track, "Vicksburg Blues," is another blues standard with a male guest vocalist I'm guessing it is Taj Mahal, but I could be wrong. Next is "Weed Smoker's Dream," with a truly awesome vocal performance by who I believe is Gaby Moreno. "Wild Honey" is one of the most up-tempo songs on the album, and honestly I can't figure out where the song comes from, but I'm assuming it was written and originally performed a long time ago. I'm gonna skip ahead a little bit as you get the idea by this point. Hugh Laurie took some classic blues, jazz, R&B, etc., standards and did his interpretation of them. For what he is doing, he did a great job of it.

Hugh Laurie provides vocals for a portion of the album, and has guest vocalists for other parts. Hugh's vocals are a nice match to the genres he explores. Some of the guest vocals provided are by Gaby Moreno, Jean McClain and Taj Mahal. Unfortunately, I have a digital copy of the album and have had a hard time finding the individual guests used on each song. I was especially impressed with the vocals on "The Weed Smoker's Dream," which was really reminiscent of Billie Holiday to me. I think the vocals on that specific track were performed by Gaby Moreno. Another track I was fixated on was "Vicksburg Blues," with the vocals performed by (I think) Taj Mahal. Really, the vocals range in quality from good to outstanding and there is nothing to complain about in this section.

Most of the album has a really chilled out feeling, like it just kind of ambles along. That isn't a bad type of vibe for a blues/jazz album to have. I found that I really enjoyed the album, and I also enjoyed going back and listening to some of the earlier recordings to the songs by other artists. At this point, Hugh Laurie has proven that he can play piano and guitar, and now I'd like to see him release an album of original material. So, that is what I'm waiting for a full album of Hugh Laurie original tracks. This album does stay enjoyable, however, and I could see myself throwing this album on really quick if I happened to be sitting around drinking and talking with friends or some other laid back social gathering type of scenario.

YouTube preview picture
YouTube preview picture

NeutralFan
    Is Hugh Lawrie really just best known for House over in America? That makes me strangely sad. You all need to watch more Blackadder.
    pete-c
    I thought the same. The front page saying "the second album by Dr. House", even though (hopefully) it's partly a joke, disappointed me a bit, heh. A Bit Of Fry And Laurie is definitely worth a watch too, he does a load of silly songs on there and general hilarity/witty wordplay/him being punched by Stephen Fry a few times an episode.
    Vash_15
    I wanted to see how long in to this review I could get before the reviewer had to bring up Dr. House. Needless to say I was slightly disappointed.
    stratomaiden
    Did you know he played House in the show House? HAHA That's so cool it's like a riddle The all-american rejects were in house as well soooo coool
    julianholguin
    [deleted]
    julianholguin · Aug 06, 2013 05:30 PM
    metalchris87
    music for the hell of it is right. but i'm not sure if i can get past that its a privileged rich white guy singing the blues o_O
    osiris12
    You don't have to be a down-on-your-luck, poor black guy to do the blues, brother
    Iommianity
    lol is that just bad trolling? If it wasn't for privileged white guys playing the blues, we wouldn't have rock. Did you have to travel back in time to dig up such a baseless criticism?
    Elfy310
    Okay Hugh Laurie...okay....your awesome. This is really good haha.
    Ironpriest
    "Sound: Hugh Laurie, most known for his role as Dr. House on the TV series "House" *cough Blackadder *cough
    Harleyrider73
    I'll have to give this a listen. I knew he had some type of musical backround. There was parts in the show House he would play guitar or piano.