You'd Prefer An Astronaut review by Hum

• Released: Jan 1, 1995
Hum: You'd Prefer An Astronaut

Hum was a very innovative band of the early '90s. Their breakthrough album "You'd Prefer An Astronaut" is a eerie, spacey, emotional tidal wave that hits you before you even realize it. All I can say is I love this band so much and their style is great, the best way to describe it would be something like "space Metal". Other then that the only complaint I have about the sound of this album is that the songs aren't very distinct so it is hard to identify one from the other.

The lyrics are Amazing and so well put together, they are almost always very emotional. They go together very well with the music and are usually very well blended too. The lead singer in my opinion has a very unique and sick voice but some people may find his style boring especially when comparing it to the vocal styles of lead singers today.

The music that Hum produces on this album is simply cutting edge for the time that they came out and even for today's music standards too. They did not have a very long span as a band seeing as they broke up in 1998 which is extremely unfortunate. The best songs on this album are "The Pod", "Stars" (which was a pretty popular radio hit), "Why I Like The Robins", "I Hate It Too" and "Little Dipper". I love the sound of this album in every aspect except for the fact that the songs aren't very distinct. If it were lost or stolen I would probably stab myself, or just buy it again one or the other.