Shatterproof Is Not A Challenge review by Hundred Reasons

• Released: Mar 1, 2004
Hundred Reasons: Shatterproof Is Not A Challenge

I can't remember which magazine it was but they got it spot on when they said Hundred Reasons seemlessly fused post-hardcore with pop sensibilities. This album greets you with the opening track Savanna, a song that incorperates catchy riff reminiscent of Feeder and post-hardcore elements very similar to the In/Casino/Out period of At the Drive-In; this song sets the theme for the rest of the album that is carried out seemlessly. Larry and Paul still pertain to be one of the best Lead/Rhythm pairs I have ever heard blending distorted and clean intricacies backboned by the solid bass; this is accompanied by the drums which has greatly improved since Ideas Above Our Station evident in songs like The Great Test and Harmony. This record is innovative in the way that, unlike Feeder and Ash for example who try to pull off some more hardcore songs (Ash: Clones, Feeder: Slow Burn), Hundred Reasons achieve this easily because of their proclaimed influence of bands like Faith No More and At the Drive-In.

Colin Doran sticks to his blend of lyrics often taken for face value but later seen pragmatically, quite obviously a trend obtained from listening to At the Drive-In. While his influences aren't blantant it's clear that he has retained his masterful writing crossing, not necessarily indie/alt themes but something along those lines, with underlying tones evident after a few listens to the album. The lyrics ring very true with the music as heard in Harmony and What You Get and even though Coling isn't the best singer he conveys a great range and pulls of some killer screams.

The overall impression of this album is one of reinforcement; it's lived up to their debut attempt Ideas Above Our Station and created a perfect album preceeding the summertime which, won't be as popular, but will easily contend with other summery albums. I have talked about this album from a pop themed perspective but that definately isn't it's core theme and no-one should be detered by either view. Hundred Reasons have kept their custom of putting a b-side on the album, this time it being Pop, and electric version of Introduction to Pop with Larry singing. The best songs on the album are largely amalgamated to the begining with Savanna, What You Get and Stories With Unhappy Endings, but 80 MPH stands out towards the end of the album. This album has much love to spread with it's great consistent but unrepetitive sound, intriguing lyrics and great empowering feeling it delivers; with all this it's difficult to hate it, the only deficit being the last track Makeshift, an acoustic song (another Hundred Reasons convention, putting acoustic tracks as the final songs) which doesn't entirely fulfill the feeling instilled by the rest of the album. If this was stolen I would definately buy it again and I highly recommend it for anyone. This album definately lives up to the throne Hundred Reasons set up by their first album but if you're looking for a more post-hardcore themed album I suggest buying their first Ideas Above Our Station primarily and then this one.

vodkaboy
    deadbeatmax
    vodkaboy wrote: im not sure what album its off but are hundred reasons the guys that sing a song about a girl who cried a river and drowned the whole world?
    thats not hundred reasons. its nine days who did absolutely (story of a girl)