Vol. I review by Hurt

• Released: Mar 21, 2006
Hurt: Vol. I

At first you think they sound slighlty boring and dreey then you think they are not vert techincally minded because of thier lack of major guitar solos. But the true magic of this band is really when you find more of thier songs than just the epic single "Rapture". What you uncover is an amazing blend of mellow soft rock, some orchestral genius and some of the finest hard rock seen in many years. The drummer is a master of the kit, he dosen't show off as much as some drummers these days but you get a sense of endless security with him behind the kit. The bass player is quiet on this record but when you take the time to listen to some of the more intracat playing you notice he is a bass player that is more intresting than other bass players in similar bands. The guitarist do not show of in any particular format but seem to have the abillity to play beyond what you hear on this record.

This is the real highlight of this album. From the difficult subject of killing a child in "Rapture" to a desperate man's last cry for help in "Falls Apart", every song appears to have deep, meaningful and thought provoking lyrics that can be sung along to as well as studied in greta depth. The singing is also very inmpressive. It uses a mix of mellow and quiet singing to massive screams that rival some death metal bands. A good example of this comes in "Overdose."

This album is a marvel, one of the ebst albums you will hear all year. The most impressive songs on record are "Rapture", "Falls Apart", "House Carpenter", "Cold Inside" and "Overdose". However there is not a single poor track on this record. I love it's mix of Metal and Emotion that is missibng in a lot of music these days. I would buy this album time and time again because Hurt are an amazing band that have an amazing future.

-XII-
    Awesome band, Loren kind of sounds like Cobain on Overdose. Volume 2 may be coming out soon which is good news.
    petebobpants
    these guys kick ass, i just listened to the single rapture, which is epic, an i bought the album expecting more of the same but theyve really got a lot more depth in their songs than most of the other metal bands i listen to. Awesome. cant wait for volume two.
    FireRage
    The mix of the insterments is sure genious. If you're taking the time to read this: STOP . Go out and buy it. That's the only way you will ever know.
    webbster87
    this is what bands need to do more in the music business make meaningful music with a unique sound that is like nothing you already heard! BUY THE CD!
    Gambler82
    I think they are majorly influenced by Porcupine Tree. If you check out the CDs Stupid Dream, In Absentia and Deadwing. Checkout the songs Baby Dream In Cellophane, and A Smart Kid on the Stupid Dream Album. I noticed it right away. Porcupine Tree, and Hurt are definitely two of my favourite bands for sure.