Vol. I review by Hurt

• Released: Mar 21, 2006
Hurt: Vol. I

I had heard about Hurt before actually seeing them play live (they were opening for Breaking Benjamin). My first impression of the band was that they were pretty good, but reminded me too much of a strange combination of Tool and Live. My friend and I both agreed that we would go check them out once we got back to my place. I downloaded both their albums, and started off by listening to Vol. I, which I listened to on the bus the next day. My first impression held up: a Tool-ish vein of origin (not that I'm saying that's bad), deep lyrics, etc. I recognized that three of the four songs they played were on this album: "Rapture", "Falls Apart", and "Danse Russe" (which was played with a 2-5 minute violin intro in the concert). This album didn't really drag me in like several other albums I constantly listen to, which was a bit disappointing. I still like it, but I pick and choose the songs I listen to now.

The lyrics are a constant style: pain, anguish, hurt, heartache, etc. The lyrics, in other words, are okay. I've heard a good portion of them before, but there were some that surprised me. Rapture has that start-stop vibe, and the lyrics surprisingly call God out. It also talks about love, which is something in the song I tend to ignore. "Danse Russe" starts off by reminding me of one of those MIDI songs that pop up on websites. Lead singer J. Loren Wince sounds like he's singing while holding his nose, but the song quickly picks up before it ends, which is a good sign. "Unkind" sounds like it was written about Jay Gatsby from "The Great Gatsby" (you'll get what I'm saying if you read it), and it's a pretty good song with a pretty good intro.

As previously mentioned, I picked up both albums (Vol. I and II), and truthfully, I listen to Vol. II a lot more. This album is just loud and angry for the sake of it, and several songs sound like they have the same guitar riff (since everything is in Drop D tuning), and they never really get interesting (execpt "Danse Russe", which has something orginal). Overall, I would recommend Vol. II more than this, but it's a good album overall.

jeromyrb
    definitely on of the more underrated bands recently. they arent nearly as popular as they deserve. as some of the reviews said, their songs are actually meaningful and creative, which sadly, is being seen less and less these days...
    mynamehere040
    toolfan_121 wrote: Gambler82 wrote: I think they are majorly influenced by Porcupine Tree. If you check out the CDs Stupid Dream, In Absentia and Deadwing. Checkout the songs Baby Dream In Cellophane, and A Smart Kid on the Stupid Dream Album. I noticed it right away. Porcupine Tree, and Hurt are definitely two of my favourite bands for sure. Dude, props to you for being into such great bands.
    Props to you both. But I kinda agree with mtrev009...they're probably not influenced by Porcupine Tree but I do see the resemblance...though I disagree with mtrev in that Steven Wilson has a fantastic voice that is comparable to, if not better than, Loren's.
    rolemartyrx
    @ELECTRIC7'S REVIEW DO YOU EVEN KNOW HOW TO PLAY ANY OF THE SONGS ON THIS ALBUM?!!!? the only song drop D is cold inside and Danse russe is in standard tuning, the only time i've heard it dropped a half step like most of their songs is in the connect sets ep that Capitol release. and second of all, J. loren takes the time to put pieces of himself in the song, and i know that as fact, i talked with him as a junior in high school when i did an independent study on music. so next time, know wtf you're talking about before you end up pissing off the wrong person