Lovers' Requiem review by I Am Ghost

• Released: Oct 10, 2006
I Am Ghost: Lovers' Requiem

I am Ghost is a very epic band. Big Sound, lots of choir vocals, fast-pacing guitars, the whole deal. When I first got the CD after hearing "Our Friend Lazarus Sleeps" on an eCard, it took about ten or so seconds for me to realize this was going to be a great album. The record is a concept album, about to people, a vampire and an angel, who are in love and trying to finally achieve "Lovers' Requiem" or "Lovers' Rest." I am Ghost brought a few new elements into the album. Along with the usual two guitarists, bassist, drummer, and singer, there is also a violinist, Kerith Telestai, giving it a touch of grace that compliments the screaming vocals by Steve Juliano. Like an angel and vampire, if you will. This is also shown that in about half the songs, Kerith and Steve are singing back and forth or together. Plus the Latin choirs were very surprising, taking up the entire first track, plus appearing in other tracks.

The Lyrics on Lovers' Requiem can be incredibly confusing, especially it you don't know what they're talking about, "Fortunes and Hades are the last hope, swallow/Forgive the leopard king and the hangman's gallows/Shark people wear shark clothes/The bite as ugly as sin/But we were ready, disguised of malice stone" (our Friend Lazarus Sleeps). Does anyone know what that means? It could be metaphoric, like "Shark people wear shark clothes" could mean something like, "Your actions show your character," but I'm not so sure, cause it seems it's literal. But if it is metaphoric, there are excellent ones throughout Lovers' Requiem. The lyrics flow very well the music, down to the very syllable, and the singing abilities of Steve, Kerith, and Brian are very good. Steve also has a very unique scream, not too death metal, but not at all weak.

Their last album, "We Are Always Searching" had a similar theme, a love story that continues on even after the album is over. It had an spark that you could tell that they were gonna be fantastic with that type of style, even with the poor recording equipment at spots. But on Lovers' Requiem has a lot better sound quality, two guitarists, and better put together sounds. The re-recorded two previous songs, and added ten new songs to make Lovers' Requiem. This album sounds like they tightened and tweaked wherever they could to make it a perfect album; They did their homework. This is one of my favorite albums as a whole. The songs that stand out the most to me are "Our Friend Lazarus Sleeps", "Dark Carnival Of The Immaculate", and "The Denouement". I recommend this album for anyone who likes a good story or fantasy, since both are heard here. This was defiantly worth buying.

ChazBcWarlock
    yh the guitarist is complimented by the violin, seems more fast paced then what it actually is very good album
    XxShredderxX
    Avarik
    I don't want to start anything...but can you say, MCR?
    deadxseductress
    Avarik wrote: XxShredderxX wrote: bought this CD on halloween, and dug it! very talented individuals in the studio; however, cant say the same about their live performances I don't want to start anything...but can you say, MCR?
    MCR got better this past tour for the Black Parade...But that's besides the point. I love I Am Ghost, I've never found a band exactly like them.
    .6.bullets.
    I love this band. Lover's Requiem is one hell of a record. haha, joining in this lttle MCR thing.... I think as musicians, My Chem have improved, but I saw them on the Black Parade tour, and they were lscking alot of the prescence and craziness that made Revenge and Bullets tours so memorable.....so far as album concepts and stuff, I think I Am Ghost and MCR have...slightly similar stuff, but I have to admit hat I like Lover's Requiem a bit better than the Black Parade (Bullets and Revenge will forever be my fave records)....but that's just my opinion. Both bands are lovely. : )