Those We Leave Behind review by I Am Ghost

• Released: Oct 7, 2008
I Am Ghost: Those We Leave Behind

I am Ghost is one of the most hard-working and elite bands in the scene right now, and they are, in my opinion, one of the most underrated bands out there. The band's sound is almost unlike any other band out there, and the music theme is dark yet beautiful. There is a story attached to "Those We Leave Behind." The focus is mainly about a dead man and a dead woman buried far apart from each other, and they try to find each other to live in peace and harmony again. They have a variety of sounds. Most of their songs are above-average rock/metal/emo-style songs, yet some are more pop/punk sounding, like the songs "Buried Way Too Shallow," "Rock N' Roll High School Murder," and "They Always Come Back." Others are more mellow and sad, like the intense ballad, "Make Me Believe This Is Real".

Steve's lyric styles definitely hasn't changed since "Lovers' Requiem," the band's first studio album (not to be confused with "We Are Always Searching, which was an EP). He still focuses on love, death, murder, yet trying to find love and peace in one's life. For example, in the song "Saddest Story Never Told," the sixth track on the album, the lyric "We were lovers, burned alive, and I am reborn, I will never forgive that night," represents him as a dead guy, who, with his wife, were burned alive, and he was reborn, and he tries to find his love in some way or form. One other minor problem. Maybe it's just me, but I think I heard the word "kiss" at least six times in the album. And, in the song "Don't Wake Up," the second track, also the best track on the album -- a must-have -- he says "kiss" twice in less than a minute. Just a minor fix, but, after all, his music is about finding love, so I guess it's only appropriate... Steve's voice is really good, but his screaming needs a little touch-up. Otherwise near-perfection.

I am Ghost is unlike any other band out there. The music is dark yet beautiful, sad yet inspiring, brooding yet brutal. The most impressive tracks on the album would have to be "Don't Wake Up," "Those We Leave Behind," "Bone Garden," "Saddest Story Never Told," "Burn the Bodies to the Ground," and "Set Me Free." I love almost everything about it, except for some repetitive lyrics and the shrillish screaming. A big plus on this album is that if it were lost or stolen, there is no doubt: I would buy it again and again!