Those We Leave Behind Review

artist: I Am Ghost date: 02/04/2009 category: compact discs
I Am Ghost: Those We Leave Behind
Released: October 7, 2008
Label: Epitaph
After the loss of the band's female vocalist who also contributed violins, I Am Ghost decided to record darker and heavier more metallic music.
 Lyrics: 8.3
 7.7
 6.3
Those We Leave Behind Reviewed by: iamghost, on january 26, 2009

Sound: I am Ghost is one of the most hard-working and elite bands in the scene right now, and they are, in my opinion, one of the most underrated bands out there. The band's sound is almost unlike any other band out there, and the music theme is dark yet beautiful. There is a story attached to "Those We Leave Behind." The focus is mainly about a dead man and a dead woman buried far apart from each other, and they try to find each other to live in peace and harmony again. They have a variety of sounds. Most of their songs are above-average rock/metal/emo-style songs, yet some are more pop/punk sounding, like the songs "Buried Way Too Shallow," "Rock N' Roll High School Murder," and "They Always Come Back." Others are more mellow and sad, like the intense ballad, "Make Me Believe This Is Real". // 10

Lyrics: Steve's lyric styles definitely hasn't changed since "Lovers' Requiem," the band's first studio album (not to be confused with "We Are Always Searching, which was an EP). He still focuses on love, death, murder, yet trying to find love and peace in one's life. For example, in the song "Saddest Story Never Told," the sixth track on the album, the lyric "We were lovers, burned alive, and I am reborn, I will never forgive that night," represents him as a dead guy, who, with his wife, were burned alive, and he was reborn, and he tries to find his love in some way or form. One other minor problem. Maybe it's just me, but I think I heard the word "kiss" at least six times in the album. And, in the song "Don't Wake Up," the second track, also the best track on the album -- a must-have -- he says "kiss" twice in less than a minute. Just a minor fix, but, after all, his music is about finding love, so I guess it's only appropriate... Steve's voice is really good, but his screaming needs a little touch-up. Otherwise near-perfection. // 9

Overall Impression: I am Ghost is unlike any other band out there. The music is dark yet beautiful, sad yet inspiring, brooding yet brutal. The most impressive tracks on the album would have to be "Don't Wake Up," "Those We Leave Behind," "Bone Garden," "Saddest Story Never Told," "Burn the Bodies to the Ground," and "Set Me Free." I love almost everything about it, except for some repetitive lyrics and the shrillish screaming. A big plus on this album is that if it were lost or stolen, there is no doubt: I would buy it again and again! // 10

Those We Leave Behind Reviewed by: iamghost, on february 04, 2009

Sound: I am Ghost has always had a unique sound from the beginning. In "We Are Always Searching," their EP released in 2005, they definitely had a sound like no other. In "Lovers' Requiem," they reached the top in goth and epicore. Now in "Those We Leave Behind," the most underrated CD of 2008, they finally jumped into the fiery pit and revealed a darker, newer side to the band. They did what they wanted to do, what they loved, and not what everybody else wanted. They still have their catchy choruses and original guitar riffs, and Steve's dark and tragic lyrics and stories about love and loss and murder. The album starts off with the 45 second intro called "We Dance With Monsters," read by Allison Murphy. It's a dark, fantastical intro, that leads into the best song on the album, "Don't Wake Up," which starts with an original I am Ghost riff, then shreds on to the verse and the truly spectacular chorus. Then comes the title track, "Those We Leave Behind," which starts off with a ripping, shredding verse and an extremely catchy chorus. That moves on to "Buried Way Too Shallow," which starts off with an arpeggiated riff that is also extremely catchy to a punk-pop sounding chorus. "Bone Garden," a highlighted track, then starts with the catchiest chorus you could ever dream of. Then "Saddest Story Never Told" begins, which almost makes you jump after the silence after Bone Garden ends. Saddest Story Never Told is also the most emotional song on the album. "Smile Of A Jesus Freak" starts with a sick bass intro, and then a huge scream by Steve. "So, I Guess This Is Goodbye" is another highlighted track, and begins with an acoustic riff, then an extremely original electric riff. "Interlude: Remember This Face, Baby" gave me the chills with the lyrics and the dark piano in the background. Then that explodes into "Burn the Bodies To The Ground," another original I am Ghost song. Then that jumps into the bouncy and fun "Rock N' Roll High School Murder," a sound not tried before by I am Ghost. Then that delves on into the intense ballad, "Make Me Believe This Is Real," which has an amazing, almost awkwardly distorted guitar intro. Then another bouncy track... "They Always Come Back." Then, the last track, "Set Me Free," one of my favorites, and after it ends, it makes you thirst for more... much more... With the new lineup, and the absence of the violin used in their EP and "Lovers' Requiem," they were able to write heavier, more metallic music. Steve said that lyrically, this is the darkest album he's ever written, but musically, it's the most beautiful music they've ever written. And he's correct. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics have certainly gotten darker. In Bone Garden: "I am the man they couldn't hang... a forced-fed son of romance, dressed in hooks who kissed your head, killed 12 dead baby. I am an addict-burning winter, a closed-door annihilator, motherfucker burned who was married in your bone garden." In Smile Of A Jesus Freak: "So sit around and watch me burn, watch me burn, motherfucker," and "She said I'd be so pretty dead." And much more that will certainly take you by surprise. Except... one flaw. Steve almost way overuses the word "kiss." I know his music is about love and loss, but a little more variety would be even better. // 9

Overall Impression: I am Ghost's music is original, beautiful, and tragic filled with brooding passion and brutal musical talent. "Those We Leave Behind" is filled with music that you will never forget, and it will leave you thirsting for more. // 10

Those We Leave Behind Reviewed by: the_messenger66, on october 14, 2008

Sound: After the leave of Kerith and Brian Telestai, Ryan Seaman, and Gabriel Iraheta, I am Ghost's line-up changed greatly with their third album, Those We Leave Behind. Vocalist Steven Juliano and Lead Guitarist Timoteo Rosales III bought on Ron Ficarro, Justin McCarthy, and Chad Kulengosky as replacements and new members. I would like to say this didn't effect I am Ghost's sound, but it did. Juliano said early on in the writing on Those We Leave Behind that there were going to be no more long intro songs (I.e. Crossing the River Styx), but just great rock songs. And that is exactly what they did. They are less epic than before, which I felt had been my favorite appeal to them, but there style and sound of We Are Always Searching is defiantly there. Their key chorus's and pounding breakdowns and bridges remain untampered, and the drumming is still right on track. The First track, "Intro: We Dance with Monsters," is a short piece of dialogue, read by Allison Murphy, lasting about forty-five seconds, then going write into an original I am Ghost riff, and ripping into their second song, "Don't Wake Up." Violin's are still not completely absent album, appearing in a hand full of songs, and additional vocals by Cody Leavitt. Also appearing in is a minute and a half interlude, in which Steve reading a monologue about an internal struggle and insanity, which I thought the drum beat and piano alone would've sufficed. Nevertheless, I am Ghosts presents their thirds album with, "fourteen brooding tracks of passion-fueled anthems." (said my CD package). // 8

Lyrics: Juliano's lyric subjects have defiantly stayed with him. His tragedy, love, and murder return with blazing vengeance with the line, "Take my hand and let's set ourselves on fire." He has gotten even better with his singing abilities, and has pretty much perfected screaming. Here are then notable tracks: 01. Intro: We Dance with Monsters - another chilling intro with a lullaby-like melody behind Allison Murphy's whispered voice. 03. Those We Leave Behind - One of the best songs on the album. A ripping verse, with a very catchy Chorus, "Hold me, like you did when we were younger, your eyes speak to me it's the truth/Our haunting; the days of my surrender. I kissed your head and said goodnight, I raised the dead and said goodbye." The Final Chorus give a cool sounding shift upwards. 05. Bone Garden - Another highlighted song. I love the verse lyrics here. "I am the man they couldn't hang/A forced-fed son of romance dressed in hooks who kissed your head, killed 12 dead baby/I am an addict burning winter, a closed-door annihilator/Motherfucker burned who was married in your bone garden." 06. The Saddest Story Ever Told - I was reminded of old My Chemical Romance here, I don't really know why, but I was. Probably the most sincere song though, and the most emotional. 07. Smile of a Jesus Freak - Sick bass intro with the creep of an acoustic pick slide and intro. But this song sounds annoyingly like Escape the Fate (which I don't care for) so that kinda put me off, but that's just my preference. Great song otherwise. 08. So I Guess this is Goodbye - After a short acoustic, they rise into a pretty decent song, especially with Cody Leavitt singing at the interlude. 11. Rock N' Roll High School Murder - After a Coheed and Cambria like intro, I am Ghost presents their always fun bouncy tragedy, which of course, is about a school shooting. // 7

Overall Impression: The search for the narrator and his lover to find peace within their lives continues on, and I am Ghost lives on, rocking their way through their own dark world of love and death. They seemed to lose some momentum with their drastic line-up change since "Lovers' Requiem", but they are coming back strong. Hopefully they will gain it back in time for their next album, whenever that may be. The most impressive songs on the album are, "Those We Leave Behind," "Bone Garden," and "Smile of a Jesus Freak." // 8

Comments