We Are Always Searching review by I Am Ghost

• Released: Oct 25, 2005
I Am Ghost: We Are Always Searching

I Am Ghost presented their debut album, We Are Always Searching, in October of 2005. This album held great potential for I am Ghost, just because it was something different. The aura of romance surfaces and dives deep, ever present in the record. Vampires is the other main element here, having references to them in pretty much every song. Sounding wise, it's all over the place, one moment in a hardcore screamo riff to a soft interlude, and back to screaming, but never losing its flow and momentum. It also rough, since the budget for the album was low. The feel I fine is a more bouncy, upbeat than the dark theme it tells. And on top of all that, they have a violinist Kerith Telestai, giving I am Ghost a unique sound.

Steve screaming abilities is truly unique, and we also sings very well with Kerith. The Dead Girl Epilogue, Pt.1: The opening track, which gives a chilling ballad of piano and Kerith singing the one line, "Soon, the rain, will wash away the sun, as I melt with you. I am Ghost," over and over again. Pretty People Never Lie, Vampires Never Really Die and We Are Always Searching are the only two tracks surviving to the next album, "Lovers' Requiem." Eulogies and Epitaphs has a resemblance to the movie 30 Days of Night, "I saw you out the window, as the blood line fills this town with razors, I saw you out this window, it is all the same, her face is gone and dead. I'm dead, I'm dead, I'm dead, this town is gone and dead, I'm dead, I'm dead!" Dunno why that is. Though this song is heavier than most of the songs one the record. The Most Beautiful Nightmare, Pt.2 seems to be about death of a vampire, and her lover longs to join her in death. Lady Madeline in her Coffin is from the Edgar Allen Poem entitled, "The Fall Of The House Of Usher." Civil War and Isolation Thrist: Kinda funny, it's about the day after a party in a club where the main character got drunk and killed everybody and then he and his girl wanna blow it all off with their lives. "And I'm still sober, and the bouncers are all dead, With a lonely kiss and the love I'll miss, I will drink tonight! She says, 'Lets put this stake right through our hearts, ' To kill all the loneliness, babe, we'll never be apart! Soon we'll see the sunrise, soon we'll see the sun again." The Last Good Bye of Smile and Bone is literally a final good-bye to the lovers, as she dies in his arms, as Steve repeat, "And I'm thanking you for loving me," Towards the end of the song.

The sound of the album probably wasn't as epic as they wanted it to be, which made the songs feel a little outta their element, but still they have a very solid record. I think very highly of this band, since I've never heard anything like this pulled off this well. My favorite songs in this album are, "The Dead Girl Epilogue, Pt.1", "We Are Always Searching," and, "Civil War and Isolation Thirst." If anyone liked any other I am Ghost material, then I see no reason not to buy this album.

fartsyjoe420
    excellent band. can't wait for the new album. i heard kerith is gone, which might suck or rock harder. who knows. anyway - this album sure owns.
    the_messenger66
    i liked Kerith, she made I am Ghost different. plus they have a new bassist AND drummer now, so i'm a little apprehensive on their new album on how it's gonna be, but "Bone Garden" sounds great, so i'm not too worried.