Malevolence review by I Declare War

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Sound: 9
  • Lyrics: 7
  • Overall Impression: 8
  • Reviewer's score: 8 Superb
  • Users' score: 5.9 (27 votes)
I Declare War: Malevolence
0

Sound — 9
Probably one of the most brutal sounding records to take over metal in general this year. The production quality is outstanding. To kick it all off the guitar tones are just beautifully evil. The bass tones bring every song to a pulverizing powerhouse that makes this record so powerful. Last but never the least, the drums make all hell break loose with a crazy energy that will pump you up and make you throwdown. With many influences ranging from genres of Old and New school Death Metal and some Hardcore, this record makes a whole new meaning to the term Heavy.

Lyrics — 7
These lyrics are intense, literal, and impacting with a fist full of fire. The lyrics are really full of volatile misanthropy and feelings against politics and religion. The skills that this frontman brings is something that makes you feel the anger and hate pouring out like a raging lahar at the foot of the volcano itself.

Overall Impression — 8
Standing in the genre of deathcore this record stands out past bands like suicide silence and born of osiris because it seems like the standard deathcore record with over needed amounts of breakdowns. This record has a lot of death metal and tech death influenced melodies and leads. Songs that really impressed me were New Age Holocaust and Purification of the Population because of the intensity throughout the song, and the fact that there is not a lot of repitition. I would buy this CD if I had lost it because of how powerful this record sounds.

25 comments sorted by best / new / date

    CMango15
    I love this CD. But I have to ask, to almost everyone who has commented this review, if you've all played with IDW and they're so generic and boring and unskilled, why are we reading a review of their CD and not yours? IDW is the only good Seattle death metal band that I've heard of.
    Tim Remains
    Hey i'm from Seattle too! ahah didn't know there was so many WA users. I've seen these guys alot..and as stated above they are heavy live. But boring. I had high hopes for this album after seeing the studio trailer, and while it's a big step up from the last album, it's still pretty damn bland. I enjoy the first three songs though.
    metalxsymphony
    Disturbdkornkid wrote: AdenZerda wrote: "Brutal" is the word that is destroying good metal. Totally agree, the only band I can call brutal and actually mean it is probably Origin. I cringe any time someone tries telling me a deathcore band is 'brutal'.
    You've put too much faith into monikers with the word 'brutal'. You say agree with this guys statement, but all your really doing is reaffirming that brutal means anything.
    Dissiliency
    Jo5h [C] wrote: every song on the album sounds exactly the same
    WTF? did u probably listened to to songs rofl.
    Shredder Guitar
    To this day, I still don't understand how people say deathcore isn't "metal." What the ****? Like really? 8madhatter8 is 100% correct. I think the Beatles suck, but I respect them because they actually did something right and were successful for doing what they loved.
    8madhatter8
    Allright. So I've just read all you guys's comments, and for those of you who are hating all over this music...Really now? First things first, how many of you critics have been in a band? Or maybe if you have, did you ever even get scouted by a record label? Did you guys get anywhere? All these are probably no's. I Declare War is SIGNED, and they make money for doing what they love. Just because you don;t like it doesn't mean anything. Me and probably everyone else with a true understanding don't really care what you think overall, because it really doesn't effect anything. And for those of you who say there is no talent in this, well, even if there was no talent in this, people still can like it. There is TALENT, and this is the most brutal genre out there, and no brutal is not destroying metal, because have you noticed how many different genres of metal that there are out there? There are brutal sub-genres, and non-brutal sub-genres. They are different styles. You don't have to like any of them, but for Christ's sake learn how to enjoy music and respect it. IF you really love music, you will understand all music genres, maybe not like them, but understand them, and accept them as a musician, and that they aren't doing this for you, they are doing it for everyone who will listen and understand. And for the last 2 or 3 of you who commented, you guys are great for understanding music. If I forgot anything that you sad critics forgot, just tell me and I'll continue.
    xImAGangsterx
    I love how many people hate on this band. It truly amuses me that everyone on this website calls themselves a musician but they're busy criticizing another musician because they don't like the genre of music another person plays? If the music is so generic and simple why have I yet to see any tabs for this CD? Everyone here says all the songs sound exactly the same. Obviously you haven't listened to more than one song. I don't go around looking up bands like disturbed, korn, or iron maiden and saying they suck cause who am i to say such a thing. Pretty much im saying everyone on here talking shit are a bunch of jealous faggots who havent gotten shit done musically. This CD is sick as hell. Good job I Declare War.
    pinkbelt_rocker
    AaronStrickland : People are gonna hate. This band is better than any of the shitty bands any of you are in obviously. And to the first comment, of course your not gonna like it, you have Disturbed as your name.
    Thank you! Christ, this review is meant for people that would be interested in buying or downloading this cdnot for people whose favorite band is Iron Maiden or Disturbed. Go read one of their album reviews, && if you don't care for it, then talk all the shit your little heart desires there if that's what your shit is...but why comment on a review for a band that clearly would not fit in with any of the other music on your ipod?? I personally am a huge fan of IDW. Amidst The Bloodshed was a really good cd, while rather all over the place. The guys definitely have found a solid place for their sound with Malevolence, && have made themselves definitively heavier. Without coming off as talking shit, tell me if any of you Disturbed fans or whatever have ever heard something as hateful or in your face as the intro to the album? Every time that bass line kicks in, i get serious concern for my pantsboth the front and the back. All in all, while a lot of the songs do sound quite similar, its quite a good cd in itself. Songs Fractions && Putrification of the Population truly stand out, as being heavy, hateful, and quite refreshing in the terms of current hardcore. I actually met the guys last week at a show in Scranton, PA, && i must say they are extremely down to earth && good dudes. Would deff. pay to see them again.
    tancanada
    I've played with this band too. Really generic music, the only good song these guys really have is Now Your Gonna Be Famous
    AaronStrickland
    People are gonna hate. This band is better than any of the shitty bands any of you are in obviously. And to the first comment, of course your not gonna like it, you have Disturbed as your name.
    Eidos
    im also from seattle and all the lame scene poser deathcore fans love these guys.... so naturally i never got into them.
    Disturbdkornkid
    AdenZerda wrote: "Brutal" is the word that is destroying good metal.
    Totally agree, the only band I can call brutal and actually mean it is probably Origin. I cringe any time someone tries telling me a deathcore band is 'brutal'.
    Brutalious
    BackSeatSuicide wrote: I've actually played shows with these guys, here in my hometown seattle, and they are all cool guys, but their music is generic, uninteresting, uninspired, and pointless, and after 2 albums and 1 EP they haven't progressed what so ever !
    I live around Seattle as well, I've seen these guys many times. While they put on a good show, their music lacks anything interesting or original. Not to mention I'm not a fan of the scenecore, "chug chug" bands.
    frigginshrooms
    i'd like to listen to those "intense, literal, and impacting" lyrics, but as i can't understand a thing, i think i'll screw it
    IRONMAIDENTLICA
    I listened...they werent anything special got sort of boring...although I must say the album artwork looks cool i think
    BackSeatSuicide
    I've actually played shows with these guys, here in my hometown seattle, and they are all cool guys, but their music is generic, uninteresting, uninspired, and pointless, and after 2 albums and 1 EP they haven't progressed what so ever !
    EpiExplorer
    Echoplex wrote: I listened to some of this. This band doesn't sound metal to me, it sounds more like deathcore.
    It really is. I've noticed deathcore bands usually have titles for things with 3 words usually containing structures such as '- the -', the - representing another word. Its as if they just scrounge off other deathcore bands titles and change them a bit to make them seem 'fresh' and 'interesting'.
    Echoplex
    I listened to some of this. This band doesn't sound metal to me, it sounds more like deathcore.
    Mahino
    guitarsftw wrote: The only thing more cliche than the band and album name is the review.
    Whaha! I totally agree XD Worst album ever, I had the feeling I was listening to the same song over and over again...