Beloved review by I Killed the Prom Queen

• Released: Feb 14, 2014
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
I Killed the Prom Queen: Beloved

IKTPQ formed in Australia back in 2000, and had some success touring and released 2 studio albums, a live album and a few EPs before "disbanding," though this turned out to just be a hiatus instead. The breakup was initiated because the rest of the band didn't want to continue without Jona Weinhofen, who had left the band to join Bleeding Through. The band got back together in 2011, though by the time of the album being recorded the only original member remaining is guitarist, Jona Weinhofen. The second guitarist, Kevin Cameron, while not an original member has been with the band for quite a while. I guess Jona didn't feel the same about continuing on without the rest of the band as they felt. There are 11 tracks on the album, with a total runtime of just under 38 minutes. The first single released from the album was "To the Wolves," which was released in December 2013.

The album opens up with "Beginning of the End," with some clean guitars and a keyboard and some of the worst metalcore vocals I've ever heard. I think this may be due to the context because they sounded better later in the track. I'm not sure metalcore vocals were meant to be sung over clean guitars with that much empty space. "To the Wolves" opens up with some serious drumming and a guitar melody which kept me interested through most of the track. "Bright Enough" seemed like it was capturing something interesting from a melodic standpoint, much like "To the Wolves," and this is what kept my interest in this track as well. It surely isn't the mediocre vocals. "Melior" is up next, and this is another fairly solid track but once again I'm feeling let down by the vocals. "Thirty-One and Sevens" stood out as the first track where the band really seemed to use clean vocals correctly to counter the screamed metalcore vocals. "Calvert Street" is a fast and aggressive track but didn't seem to have much personality beyond that. "Kjaerlighet" was a pretty interesting track, with an almost progressive type of feel to it and more extensive use of clean vocals and an almost epic vibe to the track. "The Beaten Path" is one of those continually pummeling type of tracks, but it is executed pretty well. "Nightmares" probably stands out as one of the heavier songs on the track, but also has a lot of individual character, which makes this one of my favorite tracks from the album. "No One Will Save Us" almost won me over with the melody in the intro, but the song didn't continue to impress much past the intro melody. "Brevity" is an okay track to close the album out with. I really enjoyed Jamie's vocals on this track more than the rest of the album and I have to wonder why he couldn't perform this well on the rest of the album.

Jamie Hope performed vocals on the album, with Jona Weinhofen provided the very-few-and-far-between clean vocals. Jamie, to my ears, sounds like as a vocalist he is just getting the hang of metalcore vocals and while he is mostly consistently mediocre he occasionally seemed to really be struggling. The great downfall of this album for me was Jamie's vocals, as I just couldn't enjoy what he was doing - when he started to win me over he would go too far into the realm of the cheesy. Oddly enough, it seemed the further into the album the better Jamie's vocals got - so I have to wonder if songs on the album appear in the same order they were recorded as Jamie got the hang of what he was doing. From what I gather, Jona does the clean vocals and while they're not earth shattering they are definitely the missing ingredient from a lot of the album. As far as the lyrics, they run the gamut a little bit, but I really enjoyed some of the lyrics. Here are some lyrics from "Thirty-One and Sevens": "Permanence was the last thing on my mind/ as I reached for your hand/ all I wanted was the chance to say/ everything you deserved to hear/ what if I told you, you were the only one/ to get inside my heart and raise my head toward the sun and/ what if I told you, that you meant more to me/ than the stars on the horizon if I were lost at sea/ you gave me a place to rest my head/ and get it all off my chest/ to sit and watch 'The Days of Our Lives'/ so young and bright eyed/ staring out at the edge of the world/ you bring me clarity/ and give me a sense of purpose/ but I remember when you'd say/ out of sight but never out of mind/ all of the words I'll never find."

The expression "strike while the metal's hot" comes to mind when collecting my thoughts on this album. IKTPQ had piqued my interest when they were showing up on the scene years ago, but I can't quite call up the kind of interest I had in them back in the day. Is this a solid album? Yes. Does this album standout among several other solid metalcore releases in the past 6 months or so? No, not really. I can't give a negative rating because it isn't bad, but this album isn't really knocking my socks off, either. My favorite tracks from the album were "Kjaerlighet," "Nightmares" and "Thirty-One and Sevens." For a "comeback" album this could be a lot worse, and I look forward to hearing what they do in the future.

vppark2
    Vocals are just not right.
    MetalRock4ever
    Yeah, when I first heard this screams, they were too much: can barely make out any consonants (with most screaming, you can make out some words). Plus, the first track was the worst of the album; his screams over the music do not fit in at all. Though, the rest of the album was pretty good imo: had good tunes, heaviness, etc. Jona's voice (and other vocalists) made a good contrast to Hope's screams
    Metallidethium
    I think it's impressive that their best album is following a hiatus. The guitar work is definitely a step or two up from where they used to be. I like the screamed vocals and the cleans are a nice touch. One of my favorite releases so far this year.
    dshatel
    I don't know why everyone is hating on Jamie, I really enjoyed his vocals
    MetalRock4ever
    If you see staceap's comment, it makes sense. It took some time to get used to the vocals, but they're pretty good now.
    Nuclearcrayon
    I Personally think they would sound better with more clean vocals. the album has some interesting progressive elements that sound pretty good though.
    staceap
    wondered how a death metal vocalist would go fronting a metalcore band. I am unconvinced. Never been as big on IKTPQ as I feel like I should be, but Jamie's vocals just aren't right. Too monotone, too raspy, too high. He may as well have gone for the death metal vocals he employed with The Red Shore.
    BuriedAlive7x
    Pretty enjoyable record. I love the clean vocals, the aggressive vocals are okay. Jona should've used his voice a bit more... maybe giving him a track or two with lead vocals. For the kind of music they play I give it a 7.5.
    Reevo
    Ok i believe i have heard the name before but never heard any of their music, so i decided to stream their album on youtube and all in, I enjoy this album alot. The screams im not a fan of really however it does make them kinda stand out from most other metalcore bands im into though. Love the cleans, and they have some awesome riffs. Im with what MetalRock4ever said, the screams dont fit with the intro track, well maybe until 13 in the song when it starts getting into it. Ill give it about a 7.5 i think
    Reevo
    1.03 in the song i ment, and i take the 7.5 back, im giving this album a solid 9/10 im digging the hell out of it
    frengki.edjin
    i dunno guys, but for me the first track is one of the highlights of the album, and to the wolves is my favorite track. I'm rather surprised when i first saw the comments about the vocals, as i really enjoyed them. For me Ed butcher's vocals was the thing that defined this band, and with Jamie, at last they've found a perfect substitute.
    grizzzzly_adams
    I dig this album. I've been an IKTPQ fan from 05-6 and I've been waiting for this band to make a comeback. Middle school days.