Sleepless Nights And City Lights [DVD] review by I Killed the Prom Queen

• Content: 7
  • Production Quality: 6
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
I Killed the Prom Queen: Sleepless Nights And City Lights [DVD]

This is I Killed The Prom Queen's first DVD, even though the band has already broken up. The live portion is taken from the "Say Goodbye" tour Adelaide concert. The concert features Michael Crafter on vocals and he does a good job but some of the newer songs lack the intensity found on the studio recordings with Ed Butcher ( former vocalist). Between songs there are interviews with the band about the rise and fall of IKTPQ and the problems they had (I.e Finding new vocalists. The guitarist, drums and to a lesser extent bass sound great during the live performance with hardly any major mess-ups to speak of.

Content — 7
As well as the DVD, there is a bonus CD which is a live set list from the Melbourne concert. Again, it sounds pretty good but sometimes the vocals are drowned out. The DVD features songs the span from the bands first EP to their last studio album. So does the bonus CD. There is not much bonus features on this disk besides a few promo videos and extra interviews.

Production Quality — 6
Production is decent for the DVD. The usual multiple camera work is done well. There are some good close in's on Jona and JJ Peters as they are playing solos/ quick beats and riffs. The CD is decent but you can't hear the riffs very clearly and the vocals are sometimes drowned out but it is a LIVE DVD so it was expected.

I bought this because I Killed The Prom Queen were one of my favorite hardcore units. The LIVE show is immense because the energy is phenomenal. The guitarists put on a show like you wouldn't believe and that includes stage dives. Two songs on the live DVD are stopped ( Bet It All On Black, Death Certificate For A Beauty Queen) because security keep trying to beat up members of the crowd. Overall, if you are a fan of I Killed The Prom Queen or the Metalcore/ Hardcore wave of music you should pick this up. R.I.P IKTPQ

YourMessiah666
    wicked review. i might pick this up. Ed is the man. i saw eternla lord (his new band) once but he ****ed up his vocal chords the show before so he wasn't there :'( sad day. still good show. i might pick this up
    Stone Agean
    Pretty awesome DVD. Crafter struggles with a few songs, but he still does an ace job. Jona's rare clean vocals sound decent, quite out of key in Say Goodbye but he fixed that by letting the crowd sing the rest of it.