Sleepless Nights And City Lights [DVD] Review

Production Quality: 6.5
 8.5
 7.7
 9.2
Sleepless Nights And City Lights [DVD] Reviewed by: Perpetual Burn, on april 28, 2009

Sound: I Killed The Prom Queen's music is borrows many elements from the forefathers of melodic death metal and adds a touch of melody with clean singing. This live DVD was made after their most successful album (Music for the Recently Deceased) was released. Similar to Swedish melodic death metal godfathers At The Gates, Prom Queen would disband soon after their 'best' album was released. Prom Queen's vocalist Ed Butcher would depart back to his homeland in England. Prom Queen went through a cycle of singers before finally deciding that it was time to call it quits. Guitarist Jona Weinhofen joined US metalcore band Bleeding Through and drummer JJ Peters started his own solo act named Deez Nuts. Luckily, Prom Queen decided to arrange a final farewell tour in Australia and mark my words, they do not disappoint. They hire their original vocalist Michael Crafter who screamed on their debut album for the farewell tour. Although Michael Crafter arguably lacks the vocal intensity of Ed Butche, he makes up for it with his incredible stage presence. However, it can be noted that Crafter's hardcore screaming sounds somewhat muffled and Jona's clean singing is off tune sometimes. The guitars crunch through nicely and the drumming by JJ Peters is fantastic. The band manages to keep their sound extremely tight and focused. Both Prom Queen's energetic live shows as well as their rise and fall are documented well in this DVD. // 8

Overall Impression: The impression I Killed The Prom Queen gives in this DVD makes you wonder why any band like this would call it a day. They are simply mesmerizing. Band members take several stage dives and the guitarists head bang fiercely and pull off amazing stage moves. They come across the screen as nice and sincere people and it is truly a shame that the band is over. Interesting Highlights included the crowd chanting "Prom Queen, Prom Queen" and the fights that break out between security and the audience. There is nothing I personally dislike about the DVD except might have been better to have Ed Butcher on vocals. This DVD is a must buy for any fan of I Killed The Prom Queen or Aussie hardcore in general. I Killed The Prom Queen truly deliver in this glorious farewell tour. // 10

Sleepless Nights And City Lights [DVD] Reviewed by: Revenger#11, on december 12, 2008

Sound: This is I Killed The Prom Queen's first DVD, even though the band has already broken up. The live portion is taken from the "Say Goodbye" tour Adelaide concert. The concert features Michael Crafter on vocals and he does a good job but some of the newer songs lack the intensity found on the studio recordings with Ed Butcher ( former vocalist). Between songs there are interviews with the band about the rise and fall of IKTPQ and the problems they had (I.e Finding new vocalists. The guitarist, drums and to a lesser extent bass sound great during the live performance with hardly any major mess-ups to speak of. // 7

Overall Impression: I bought this because I Killed The Prom Queen were one of my favorite hardcore units. The LIVE show is immense because the energy is phenomenal. The guitarists put on a show like you wouldn't believe and that includes stage dives. Two songs on the live DVD are stopped ( Bet It All On Black, Death Certificate For A Beauty Queen) because security keep trying to beat up members of the crowd. Overall, if you are a fan of I Killed The Prom Queen or the Metalcore/ Hardcore wave of music you should pick this up. R.I.P IKTPQ // 8

Comments