When Goodbye Means Forever review by I Killed the Prom Queen

• Released: Mar 30, 2004
I Killed the Prom Queen: When Goodbye Means Forever

Originating from the growing Australian hardcore scene, I Killed The Prom Queen have a unique sound that sets them apart from many other hardcore bands. Crushing guitar riffs, furious double-bass drumming, sweet melodies, and some awesome breakdowns are all thrown into the mix to form their latest full-length album, When Goodbye Means Forever. This album's sound is heavy, punky, and energized. Having grabbed most of their fame from numerous live shows, they know how to make energetic headbanging music, and this album shows that. Though it is largely a very solid album, a few tracks seem to lose direction mid-song, and wander off into obscurity, though that happens on only a few tracks.

Lyrics on this CD have their ups and downs. In some songs they are great, in some they aren't. Some of the good lyrics are catchy and will probably stick in your head for days, but overall the lyrics don't really have deep meaning to them. The vocalist otherwise has a good screaming voice, perfect for hardcore. It has a very full sound, not that kind of half-scream you hear from a lot of other bands. He does a little bit of actual singing, but mostly it is screaming or yelling.

Overall, When Goodbye Means Forever is a good release from I Killed The Prom Queen. It certainly competes with the many of the other hardcore albums out today, and probably surpasses many of them. Even though it does have its share of faults, it is still a very firm album, with some excellent tracks like "My Best Wishes," "When Goodbye Means Forever" (title track) and "Death Certificate For A Beauty." If it was stolen, I might buy it again, but there are still a few bands I'd rather spend my money on before these guys. But if you're looking for some new hardcore, then try this CD, it's not perfect but it definitely is a good listen.

angels side
    this band is one of the best bands i have ever heard. i do not have this album but i do have their new one called "music for the recently deceased" and man is it cool.
    MyBloodyBride
    This is an awesome album and the title track is mind blowing lol. the lyrics are a good part of the band you just dont understand them.
    itry_itry
    [HxC]
    itry_itry wrote: i can tell you music from the recently deceased is 1000 times better than this one, Ed butcher brang a total new vocal style that classed them more a metal band than a hardcore band
    Wow you would actually call it metal, your an idiot, its metal core, and this album is more metalcore then hardcore. these guys were one of the first bands in this style and they started it well, crafter scream back then wasnt that great but now its awesome, listn to his new band confession!!! but yeah this album is freakin awesome, such a shame that they broke up
    puremetal11
    [HxC] you are a ****ing idiot. Metalcore is metal too dumbass. It has breakdowns thats the ****ing difference. Its people like you that make such a big deal about labeling bands like that. Its music okay.