Dig review by I Mother Earth

• Released: Jul 19, 1993
I Mother Earth: Dig

The music (being the most important) is killer on this album! It ranges from nice heavy, distorted guitars, backed by killer basslines (ie. 'Production'), to mellow and melodic sounds with soothing vocals (ie. 'So Gently We Go'). Oddly enough, there are several surprising guitar solo's that even impressed myself, considering IME doesn't do that sort of thing much anymore (which is quite a shame).

The lyrics that Edwin sings are often quite confusing and metaphoric. I haven't even tried examine the meanings behind most of the songs. The lyrics, however, fit nicely with the mood each song brings. Edwin is a very talented vocalist, but I never liked him on his own (and quite coincidentally, niether did I like IME w/o him).

This is quite an impressive album, and tough to choose between this one and their 'Scenery & Fish' album. 'Dig' is unique in the sense that it is the only type of album that this band has ever done. Some of the more impressive songs on it are 'So Gently We Go', 'Levitate', 'Production', and 'Lost My America'. I love that they put so much effort into this album, and if you buy it, you will be able to tell what I mean. I enjoyed this album so much that I have already bought this album for a second time considering it was stolen the first time.