Quicksilver Meat Dream review by I Mother Earth

• Released: Apr 22, 2003
I Mother Earth: Quicksilver Meat Dream

An absolutely brilliant fusion of pure progressive magic and hard-core metal and punk. Right from the git-go, "0157-H7" leaves it's mark on an album up to its neck in a sea of guitars. Before the barrage of pounding, earth-shaking rhythms and the wall of noise that comes from the guitar of Jagori Tanna, "0157-H7" doddles with some techno noises to lull the listener into an unconscious bind before the rude awakening in the middle of the song. The progressive-rock stitches of King Crimson and Pink Floyd are torn apart with songs both beautiful and beautifully blistering. "Soft Bomb Salad," "No Coma" and "I Is Us" are prog rock ballads that defy the traditional guidelines of the ballad whereas the opening track is dripping with a traditional prog sound that is busted by a wall of noise common on most of the rest of the album. There is no song on here that I wouldn't hesitate to purchase even if it appeared on a filthy 3 Doors Down album. I Mother Earth simply makes an example of all that is prog and all that is metal with 'The Quicksilver Meat Dream'.

Brian Byrnes's songs don't sound like those of Bob Dylan. Not that I would expect them to, but the lyrics aren't reflective of the masterpiece that this album is. As with almost all prog rock, the lyrics are intellectual in their own twisted way, like the seething rhymes off of Pink Floyd's 'Animals' album. But to say that these words are inspiring, refreshing, or anything of the sort would be a flat out lie. To say they're terribly interesting would be a lie as well. But when carried by a strong voice and sung with conviction, I'm sure these boys could make Avril Lavigne's music seem heartfelt and intellectual. Solid, well-written lyrics, backed by a great voice, but with no real direction.

There is no song on here that I wouldn't hesitate to purchase even if it appeared on a filthy 3 Doors Down album. The music grabs you by the throat and doesn't let go. I often find myself either short of breath or short of words after listening to this album because every song is either a punch to the gut or a beautifully wound epic (beautiful in a prog rock way). As far as I can tell, I Mother Earth are prepared to become the driving force behind Canadian music and maybe even the driving force behind the world's prog rock scene with their next album.