Quicksilver Meat Dream Review

7.9
 9.4
 6.3
Quicksilver Meat Dream Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 19, 2003

Sound: IME is a canadian band from Toronto who've been in the music business for awhile, even though they have yet to get the musical respect they deserve. The guitarist is brilliant and adapts his style to each of the songs. Some songs such as track 4 God Rocket use alot of effects and might seem boring, but if you really listen to it, the musical ingenious of it is very obvious. // 10

Lyrics: The singer is one of the greatest voices in rock music Ive ever heard, he has a very melodic voice but at the same time he expresses many styles that make you really feel his emotions in the music. The lyrics are all great, never repetative and really bring you deeper into the experience. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this is one of my favorite bands of all time, they really do try to create their own unique style and it shows. The lyrics, vocals, and instruments are all very good. Album highlights are trakcs 2,3,5,6,8,10 and 11 (almost every song). Definitely worth every penny. // 10

Quicksilver Meat Dream Reviewed by: slapshot, on november 21, 2003

Sound: This is the definition of a modern Rock giutar album. The style is somewhat progressive but would satisfy fans of "rock" or alternative. You can really hear a Rush influence on the album. It has that "wall of guitars" sound. // 10

Lyrics: This album is lyrically one of the best albums I've listened to. It is a concept album, that is it tells somewhat of a story from beginning to end. Read the lyrics as you listen to it and you'll know what I mean. The lyrics and the music compliment each other very well. The moods of each song are reflected in the music. It has angry aggresive stuff as well as soulfull melodic parts as well, sometimes in the same song...it's very interesting. It is the singers, Brian Byrnes', second effort with the bans, his first being Blue Green Orange. He is brilliant on this album. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is a bit of a departure from the bands earlier works. It's a more "mature" album. My favourites are God Rocket, Like the Sun and Meatdreams although all the songs are great. It's one of those rare albums that you buy and every song stimulates a different emotion...well, for me anyway. If it were lost I would DEFINITELY buy it again. So smoke a big joint, put the headphones on and crank it up...you won't be disappointed! // 10

Quicksilver Meat Dream Reviewed by: Infinite-Reason, on february 24, 2004

Sound: The sound on IME's latest cd is a change from their other cds. The approach for this album seems to be a Tool/Pink Floyd approach and it doesn't fail to impress. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics to the cd are very "out there" and can make you look back at them and think about them. Sometimes they may seem a little obscure though. // 8

Overall Impression: I went and bought this cd after I heard it, and I was impressed by the diversity of the songs and it almost has a "floating" feeling. A good effort from IME. // 8

Quicksilver Meat Dream Reviewed by: Ouestla, on march 04, 2005

Sound: An absolutely brilliant fusion of pure progressive magic and hard-core metal and punk. Right from the git-go, "0157-H7" leaves it's mark on an album up to its neck in a sea of guitars. Before the barrage of pounding, earth-shaking rhythms and the wall of noise that comes from the guitar of Jagori Tanna, "0157-H7" doddles with some techno noises to lull the listener into an unconscious bind before the rude awakening in the middle of the song. The progressive-rock stitches of King Crimson and Pink Floyd are torn apart with songs both beautiful and beautifully blistering. "Soft Bomb Salad," "No Coma" and "I Is Us" are prog rock ballads that defy the traditional guidelines of the ballad whereas the opening track is dripping with a traditional prog sound that is busted by a wall of noise common on most of the rest of the album. There is no song on here that I wouldn't hesitate to purchase even if it appeared on a filthy 3 Doors Down album. I Mother Earth simply makes an example of all that is prog and all that is metal with 'The Quicksilver Meat Dream'. // 10

Lyrics: Brian Byrnes's songs don't sound like those of Bob Dylan. Not that I would expect them to, but the lyrics aren't reflective of the masterpiece that this album is. As with almost all prog rock, the lyrics are intellectual in their own twisted way, like the seething rhymes off of Pink Floyd's 'Animals' album. But to say that these words are inspiring, refreshing, or anything of the sort would be a flat out lie. To say they're terribly interesting would be a lie as well. But when carried by a strong voice and sung with conviction, I'm sure these boys could make Avril Lavigne's music seem heartfelt and intellectual. Solid, well-written lyrics, backed by a great voice, but with no real direction. // 6

Overall Impression: There is no song on here that I wouldn't hesitate to purchase even if it appeared on a filthy 3 Doors Down album. The music grabs you by the throat and doesn't let go. I often find myself either short of breath or short of words after listening to this album because every song is either a punch to the gut or a beautifully wound epic (beautiful in a prog rock way). As far as I can tell, I Mother Earth are prepared to become the driving force behind Canadian music and maybe even the driving force behind the world's prog rock scene with their next album. // 10

Comments