Digital Renegade review by I See Stars

• Released: Mar 13, 2012
I See Stars: Digital Renegade

I See Stars have always been an interesting band. Their debut, "3-D", showcased songwriting maturity far beyond their age, while their follow up, "The End Of The World Party", was considered by most to be a textbook definition of "sophomore slump". The band took the criticism their previous album received well, and hit all the right notes with "Digital Renegade". To start off, the album is heavy. Not just in guitar tone, but also electronically. Unlike the other two albums, riffs play a much bigger role this time around, and the results are spectacular. "Filth Friends Unite" and "Endless Sky" are prime examples of this. Atmosphere is also far more noticeable. The slow moving interlude "iBelieve" is peaceful in an almost foreboding way, and the electronic whoops in "NZT48" provide calm amidst the chaos. All in all, their sound is much more focused and enjoyable.

Lyrically, the album follows themes of disbelief in leaders, and dependence on technology. They're more focused, aggressive, and driven. Samples include: From "NZT48": "You can't really believe what you're hearing, can you? You can't really believe what you're seeing, can you?" From "Digital Renegade": "I'm seeing clear, I'm leaving fear for the fist time in my life. I'll take everything I know to the streets to the people." From "Filth Friends Unite": "We all live by our own set of rules. Take everything and everyone down with you. What if they shut the lights out? So caught up in your digital world... What happens now?" The vocal trade offs between cleans and screams are more enjoyable this time too. The cleans are autotuned less (though it's still there), and the screams are more vicious, sort of a cross of Frankie of Emmure and Blessthefall style highs.

This album is far more enjoyable than any of I See Stars' previous ones, and carries more emotional weight. Successfully blending all these influences, from post hardcore/metalcore, club beats, and modern dubstep is not exactly an easy task, but these guys definitely make it seem easy. Start to finish, this album is a thought provoking joyride. No, this won't appeal to haters of the genre of any means, but for anyone looking for electronic post hardcore done right, "Digital Renegade" is an excellent recommendation. Stand out songs: "NZT48", "Endless Sky", "Filth Friends Unite". For fans of: Attack Attack!, That's Outrageous, and Asking Alexandria.

Maillouxlp18
    Unreal album! Was so pleased it wasn't anything like their previous album. Had this shit on repeat since it came out.
    emptybox1536
    This album is a change that I'm fine with ,the new better beats are just addicting. I am actually listening to "electric forests". Im fine with the other's opinions i mean oh well. Well hoping they're coming to my town. They'll probably put on hell of a show
    bf313
    I think the album is good but nowhere near as good as 3D was. It's unfortunate that they dropped the more unique sound of 3D in favor of the more generic metalcore sound. It's a good album but nothing groundbreaking and the tracks all kind of blend together with very few standouts. Good songs but not many that bring anything new to the table. The electronic bits do blend very well and create a great atmosphere without coming off as being too cheesy. My only major concern is the quality of how some of these will be preformed live because the screams on this album sound very manipulated compared to the last 2 albums, and their screamer isn't exactly the strongest during live shows.
    vppark2
    EpiExplorer you are the definition of a hater so i wouldnt b talking.
    EpiExplorer
    This is really, really, really, really bad. Doesn't even need an explanation why, its just.. sonically awful.
    EpiExplorer
    vppark2 wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: vppark2 wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: vppark2 wrote: you guys are just haters, i love this new sound. nice blend of electronics and hardcore No, we just have very open and honest opinions. Maybe you like to fool yourself into thinking this is good music but you shouldn't berate us for not liking for what you like. EpiExplorer you are the definition of a hater so i wouldnt b talking. So you wouldn't be talking....? About.. socks? Iunno. You keep using that word, 'hater', I do not think it means what you think it means. Haha, your a funny one. dont pretend you dunno what im talking about. you literally comment on every single review tht iv seen, and pull out your epic trolling hater skills onto the keyboard like theres no tomorrow. yeah like how i backfired tht on ya?
    Wait, whats meant to backfire here? I wasn't aware I was setting anything up. You paranoid, bro. Besides, 'epic trolling hater skills' sounds more like a fun thing than an.. un fun thing.
    Cazman
    Who the **** listens to shit like this? Some stuff might even be enjoyable, but then the godawful auto-tune bullshit comes in and my ears start to vomit.