Astral Rejection review by I Set My Friends on Fire

• Released: Jun 21, 2011
  • Reviewer's score: 3.3 Poor
I Set My Friends on Fire: Astral Rejection

From the first glance at the cover of ISMFOF's new album, "Astral Rejection", you can tell the following experience could be one of two things: a wild, fun ride, or a jumbled, confusing mess. The album, unfortunately, takes the second path. ISMFOF started as a joke band between two friends, who made and recorded short, spastic metalcore songs set to comedy. The group achieved viral fame with the release of their cover of Soulja Boy's "Crank Dat". Their first album, "You Can't Spell Slaughter Without Laughter", was an intriguing, eclectic listen, offering the best of post-hardcore, electronic music, metalcore,and pretty much everything but the kitchen sink. Back on topic, this album has none of the traits that made the first album great in my eyes. The music itself is sounds regurgitated. The guitars are messy and chaotic, the drums are far from tight, and the electronic parts do little more than save your ears from the band's horrible organization. In short, the music this time around is a HUGE step backwards.

One of the things I originaly loved about ISMFOF was lyricist Matt Mehana's larger than average vocabulary, and delightful wordplay. Yes, the lyrics were jumbled at times on the first album, but they flowed well and added up to a theme. This time around, the vocab remains, but the structure and good writing has been tossed out. The chorus of the first single, "It Comes Naturally", has some of the absolute worst lyrics I've heard in ages. They are as follows: "Scratch you off my list I've been meaning too, just like an itch I was stoned to death when I took your last breath Just like a witch I'm bigger than you, and I'm way bigger than him too Get ready for the big debut Cumming is one of my favorite things to do." The entire album pretty much follows this horrible example, making for a groan worthy experience. As far as the vocals are concerned, the screams are about the only thing that's improved for this band. They're shrill, violent, and loud. The cleans are still auto-tuned (poorly) and get old by the second or third time you hear them.

I honestly bought this album hoping for another enjoyable experience like thier first album, but in the end, "Astral Rejection" is just a huge disappointment. Every good thing the band had, they've thrown out and redone... Horribly. By the time track four, "My Paralyzed Brother Taps His Foot To This Beat" came on, my hopes were completely gone. For me, there isn't a single redeeming quality about this album. The quality is actually summed up by one of the song titles on this record... Infinite Suck. For fans of: brokeNCYDE, early Attack Attack! , masochism.

Spoonerismz
    For fans of: brokeNCYDE, early Attack Attack! , masochism
    +1. Awesome way to end the review.
    EpiExplorer
    Pile of processed, childish, egotistical, fake, annoying, boring, stupid, very very stupid garbage.
    robertwj
    Let me Start off by saying... I Love the first album 'You Can't Spell Slaughter Without Laughter'. I was so disappointed when i heard 'Astral Rejection'. The songs are all a big noise, there is no logical flow to it and the lyrics are terrible. This band had a bright future but at this moment i wouldn't give a damn if they actually split. Don't buy - waste of cash. Don't download - waste of bandwidth and a waste of time!
    ShevanelFlip
    haha this is one crazy album. It grows on you. At first lsiten I was like ...WTH. but it grew on me just like slaughter did. ISMFOF are one special band. love the album!
    ShevanelFlip
    unlike what the reviewer wrote the lyrics can be actualy quite good. the title track is a good example. Matt have a realy distinc writing style bordering ricidicule sometimes but theyre still meaning behind it. I agree that it comes naturaly(especialy the chorus) is realy...bordeline tasteless. but yeah check out the lyrics online or something you might be suprised.
    ilovelamp7
    i dont know what you're talking about, i loved the album. most of it was crazy mathcore/grindcore, but then you have awesome tracks like "life hertz" and "developer, the horn"
    vppark2
    Spoonerismz wrote: For fans of: brokeNCYDE, early Attack Attack! , masochism +1. Awesome way to end the review.
    lol well especially brokencyde, not rly so much attack attack! com on lol attack attack isnt tht bad