You Can't Spell Slaugter Without Laughter review by I Set My Friends on Fire

• Released: Oct 7, 2008
I Set My Friends on Fire: You Can't Spell Slaugter Without Laughter

This was ISMFOF's first album. And it certinly has it's ups and downs. As far as ups, Nabil Moo is a very talented musician as far as guitars and bass go. Also with mixing, considering they recorded this whole album at their house. He's also not a bad singer though sometimes the auto tone is nessacery. Matt is also talented in some ways. His lyrics are amazing and seventy precent of the time, his screams are well done. As far as downs, well in some songs, I will admit, most of the time it just sounds like random noises and gets very annoying. Other times their are too meny screams and not enough clean vocals. This is just my opinion sence I'm not a huge screamo fan. And sometimes the screams just sound like Matt is throwing up and it wont match the rythem of the song at all, thus sounding like random noises. Never the less, I do enjoy this album for the most part. 01. Sh!t It Talks... I'm Out Of Here: just an intro, pretty funny and a good start. Brief Interviews With Hideous Men- Eh...? One of those NOISE tracks. The beggining is catchy though, with the grindcore beat. Not a very good start though? 02. Beauty Is In The Eye Of The Beerholder: an Amazing song! Just when your about to pop it out of your CD player this comes up with the random screaming and then hilariously changes into a piano solo. I love the screaming and clean vocals on this track along with the guitar. 03. Things That Rhyme With Orange: the hit single! It was the song that got me into them and I really it. It stands out because it is compoased a lot better then the rest of the tracks. And has a lot more clean vocals. 04. ASL: another good one. But it does get old after a while. It also has a lot of clean vocals. I love the chorus before the break down! 05. Interlude: just a filler. Pretty chill... 06. Ravenous, Ravenous Rhinos: Oh my...? Well the only good thing about this song is the EXTREAMLY catchy, techno interlude! And the big ol' "WHAT THE F***!?" at the beggining made me laugh but one of the noise tracks. 07. HxC 2-Step: this song is soooooooo gross! It starts out with the, "This sounds like the reaction your girlfriend makes when you just told her that you have an STD in bed!" Yeah...? Also very annoying. 08. WTFWJD: I know that after you heard that song you may want to turn off your CD player but dont because WTFWJD is one of the best tracks on here!! I dont understand the lyrics but they make me laugh and it is very catchy! Especialy the ending with the chanting crowd. 09. Crank That: everyone has heard it. I personally like it but meny people think otherwise. I don't know? Sometimes I'm in the mood... sometimes I'm not. 10. But the Nuns Are Watching: thank God this track is on here! I love it and Can't find anything wrong with it! Very good track. 11. Reese's Pieces, I Don't Know Who John Cleese Is?: well this song is both good and bad. The lyrics are extreamly deep and epic and I also like the idea of the poem in the middle fallowed by the screams and chants. But sadly, the first half is full of random screams athat dont match the random guitar riffs. I was so dissapointed on how it started. But, to me, the ending is worth it!

Matt can write lyrics! That is all that needs to be said. I can tolerate the sillieness of them because behind the jokes are very deep and sensative meanings. Like when he says, "If I can't have any friends I thought why not hang from the ceiling?" or "Don't get the octopus upset, It may eat itself!" All of the songs are funny and serious at the same time. As far as singing, sadly, neither Matt nor Nabil are very good singers. They melodyne and auto-tone their voices. And like I said before only seventy percent of the time Matt has good screams. But that doesn't mean that I still can't listen to them because unlike most bands these days, they are here to have fun. The best lyrics can be found in "Beauty Is In The Eye Of The Beerholder" and "Reese's Pieces, I Don't Know Who John Cleese Is?" Some others are pretty good too but I feel, these two are the best.

They have a style all their own. I've read one review on another website saying "Just because you do something unique like; mixing two different types of music together doens't mean it will sound good. It's like dipping a banana in cold gravy; sure it's different and unique but it will still taste like shit." and my response to that is, "Hey, someone is bound to like it!" So to you I say, Don't knock it till you try it because you may find out ISMFOF has a lot more to offer then you think. Good songs are, Beauty Is In The Eye Of The Beerholder, Things That Rhyme With Orange, ASL, WTFWJD, But the Nuns Are Watching, and the ending of Reese's Pieces, I Don't Know Who John Cleese Is? I actually bought all the songs on itunes so my NOT CD that I DON'T have couldn't get stolen or lost. But I guess my ipod could...? Hmmm...?

blakiss
    Saw this band at Warped Tour, ****in crazy! I get a good laugh everytime I hear them. Looove it!