The Misanthropist review by I Shall Devour

• Released: Oct 7, 2016
  • Users' score: 6 (1 vote)
I Shall Devour: The Misanthropist

What is this?! Who? WOW!! That was my first impression after having listened through I Shall Devour's LP "Manipunation" a couple of years ago. Last year, they released The Misanthropist which I was unaware of. Thanks to my curiosity, I checked iTunes for I Shall Devour, and man am I glad I did.

Speaking of... If you're into metal, chances are, sadly, that you haven't heard about I Shall Devour, and it is my pleasure to shed some light onto this band.

Formed in August 2009 in Australia, I Shall Devour are a deathcore band that consists of Jarrod Eagleton (vocals), Matt Thomas (drums), Jem Mcpherson (guitar), Edward Sklavos (bass), and Richard Bayliss (guitar). Singer Jarrod Eagleton has one of the best voices I have heard. His bonecrushing growls are magnificent and just fits the murderous lyrics and insanely brutal instrumental work.

I Shall Devour, as you may suspect by the name, is not about love or flowers and pretty joy-joy crap like that. This, as I aimed at before, is about murder, corruption, discrimination, hatred and other themes I'll let you find out on your own. The guitar work is very catchy on most of the songs with a few standing out becoming a part of my personal favorite songs of past and present time.

You can expect a lot of 7-string and 8-string chugging, which I personally love, along with some really neat melodies and shredding. The drumming on the album is exquisite and pretty powerful. I wish the drums had been done as on "Manipunation," but I'll live with it. Strings are also present on the album as well as the good old piano, and as someone who loves classical music, this is something that enhances the enjoyment for me personally. The strings are in the right place and creates an eerie atmosphere at times. The intro to "Closing Death" is just beautiful, and a section very fitting to the title.

The lyrics of this album are top-notch. There is no fiddling around here. This is brutality, through and through, and that's what the music demands. Jarrod does the music justice with the vocal work with great explosiveness and aggression. "Of Delusion" has one of the most spinechilling intros I have heard with Jarrod letting it really go off with "Hoooooooooooooooow THE FUCK..." epic start to an epic song. There really isn't much to say. Listen. You'll either like his vocals, or not. Personally, well, it is near perfect.

So. Is this a good album? No. It is amazing. This would've made my top 3 albums of 2016. If there is anything I have a bit of an issue with, it is the mixing of the drums as I mentioned before, but that's trivial, really.

My favorite tracks from the album are:

• Wilful Ignorance
  • Logical Thought Process
  • Of Delusion
  • Interlude (track 5) into VI (track 6)
  • Spiteful Nature
  • Closing Death
I feel like I had a real struggle picking these because to be honest, I REALLY like all of the songs. No one song feels off. It is as I write this that I really get the full perspective of how good this album is. Listen to it and enjoy it. This is a rarity. So... Despite not being perfect, whatever that is... I see no reason to not do what I feel like I should, so I will, despite its small hitches. This album's score, in my opinion, is a full 10/10. This is bloody amazing stuff.

The band has the entire album up as a stream, so you're in luck. Do support this amazing band by getting it. I did. And they deserve it, for sure.

YouTube preview picture