These Are My Sins review by I the Breather

I the Breather: These Are My Sins

One of the newest additions to the Sumerian line-up, I The Breather offer a unique, distorted look at prog metalcore and metal in general with their debut release. While not straying away from a lot of tried and true techniques, the final result is something truly marvelous, bouncing around from Born Of Osiris-esque tech metal to vicious breakdown beatdowns a la August Burns Red. I The Breather do everything here to avoid being labeled as a generic "core" band, and for the most part, they succeed. The intro track "Forgiven" has some insane tapping melodies that send chills down my spine, and "High Rise" features some insanely awesome melody lines, linked with no-holds-barred breakdown bliss. "Longevity" starts with a deceptively calm lead before crashing into a huge wall of sound that practically begs for live play. The drumming on this disk is something I really want to point out (yeah, I know, this is a guitar site, but still...). It's executed in such a raw but driving fashion that the kit can't help but stand out in the final mix. The drums add that final punishing layer of sound to a very musically solid band.

Lyrically, these guys will definately be hit-or-miss with most. To get the biggest barrier out of the way first... They're Christian, and the lyrics definately show it. In my eyes, this isn't a bad thing, seeing that this isn't just a sermon with a few breakdowns backing it. They're creative with their writing, and quite possibly to a point where non denominational audiences would be far more accepting to listen. Some notable lyric samples include: from "The Common Good": I will force this bone unto the chest and Wrip the hearts from the guilty ones. from "High Rise": All my life I've loved, searched for the right, but followed the wrong. My life is a perfect example, of dreams that failed. Oh, I'm perfectly, unperfect. The relfective nature of the lyrics gives them a passionate feel that's hard not to put yourself behind, and are, all in all, very well written. The vocalist has a tendancy to stick to a comfort range, which is a mid-range scream. He rarely exits this, but when he does, his lower bellows come off with an ironically demonic quality that's as passionate as it is menacing. And sorry for fans of metalcore as done by The Devil Wears Prada or Underoath, no clean singing here.

I The Breather are one of the best new bands to break into the metalcore/tech-core scene in recent years, and definately show promise of going far with their sound. They are a band that isn't easily lumped into a corner or category, and I'll go as far as to say they're truly unique in their scene. Bottom line: give this album a listen. If you're a fan of this style of music, you most certainly won't leave disappointed. For fans of: Veil Of Maya, Killswitch Engage, Parkway Drive, August Burns Red.

huevos
    And sorry for fans of metalcore as done by The Devil Wears Prada or Underoath , no clean singing here
    metalb0y
    I enjoyed this album. I noticed a big August Burns Red and Miss May I influence! Still decent though and worth checking out
    r0ckth3d34n
    Loki_37
    My gripe about the altered parts is a mixed bag, I guess. It's like vocals, I hate autotune and layering, (used as a fixer tool, that is) but I know of singers that use it and then go out and actually hit the notes better live. I just don't understand why you'd mess with something good, or something you can do perfectly on your own, for any reason other than to be gimmicky. But anyways, this album was kind of refreshing. It's the only -core album released since AILD's last that I didn't just sit there shaking my head the whole time. Probably a solid 6 or 7.
    K!!LsWiTcH
    robertito696 wrote: ^Meshuggah did it and Haake is a fantastic drummer. As long as he can play it well live I don't see much of a problem. Though I do see how it can reflect poorly on them.
    i agree but its still a bit of a downer to hear, ESPECIALLY when its a good drummer cause then you know they can play it. its reasons like this i really dont like the metalcore genre as a whole.
    robertito696
    Bananafish003
    So, uh, regarding the drums...is the drummer just too lazy to learn the parts in time? Is he too proud to suck it up and write an easier part? Or are they so obsessed with perfection that they won't allow any minor timing errors in their songs? Really, what does this say about these guys as a band?
    Bananafish003
    r0ckth3d34n wrote: I'm not usually a fan of bands without clean singing, but I really enjoyed this album. It wasn't obnoxious.
    Try expanding your tastes, the vocals don't have to be perfect for the music to get the point across. Consider the entire genre of rap, where all vocals are spoken. There's death metal's approach, where the vocals are really only there for atmosphere and to lay down the lyrics. And then there's punk rock, where singing well isn't much of a priority as long as you can get the idea across. ...it just irks me when people rule out anything without clean singing, since there's a whole world of music out there that you'd be ignoring.
    Sam Wotrey
    My God... Another Metalcore band with an obscure sentence as its title. When will it end?
    thegreasefire
    A friend of mine recently showed me this band, and I have to say, I was quite impressed. I really like their style. Although the inhuman drum comments that I see on here disappoint me, as I found that they really stuck out to me in a good way.
    Amuro Jay
    huevos wrote: This band has potential. They currently aren't breath-taking, but they could get there with some work. But this... And sorry for fans of metalcore as done by The Devil Wears Prada or Underoath, no clean singing here Neglects the very simple fact that Underoath are devilishly good, while TDWP are sanctimoniously bad.
    Not to mention the fact that the last two Underoath albums were missing most of the clean vocals.
    krvolok
    mark3777 wrote: It's deep man. He's a breather.
    Joke 1:No he's just a non-linear oscillatory wave.Nothing deep abut that. Joke 2:It's pronounced hoarder,and yes you are. Anyway it's kinda nice to see our respected reviewer doing something else than post-hardcore.
    Loki_37
    mark3777 wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: metalb0y wrote: Btw the drums are midi triggered to samples I knew it sounded too tight to be human. What the hell does 'I the breather' mean anyway? It's deep man. He's a breather.
    Just lol. Sad about the samples...Maybe I'll still check them out, I just don't like altered music.
    mark3777
    It's deep man. He's a breather.
    EpiExplorer
    metalb0y wrote: Btw the drums are midi triggered to samples
    man_suits
    Its religious man. Probably talking about the life given by Christ for believing in His Gospel (Christ died, for our sins, was buried, rose again). Its not a random sentence that sounded cool, it is what it is for a purpose.