Horror Show review by Iced Earth

• Released: Jun 26, 2001
Iced Earth: Horror Show

Horrow Show is Iced Earth's six, and probably most powerful, performance. Containing strong elements of power metal with the intensity of thrash as well as horror movie inspired lyrics, it has plenty of variety, with many low E string thrash sessions as well as acoustic passages and some very impressive solo work. This is definately a hard hitting album in the Iced Earth discography.

Since this is a concept album, many of the lyrics revolve around the general theme of classic horror movies, reviving such classic characters as Dracula and Wolfman in a metal context. Matt Barlow is an amazing vocalist, and this album is a prime example of his skills as a singer. He hits heavenly highs and carries a deep sense of emotion in his voice. In songs like Dracula and Jeckyl and Hyde, you can feel the sadness and fear in his voice, which to me, is a very rare trait for singers now adays.

The emotion and power carried in each song makes this album a masterpiece. Lyrically, it keeps you interested, and Barlow's voice, coupled with the riff work of Jon Schaffer, pulls you into the song and truly expresses the character's mindset and emotions. There something hear for everyone as well, heavy passages, and light passages, and don't be pushed away from checking out this album for fear of it being "just another power metal album", for it is quite the contrary. If stolen or lost, I would replace it in a heartbeat - this is definately an album I suggest everyone look into or purchasing.

Metallica1327
    Amazing album! There was talk about a possibility of a Phantom Opera Ghost 2 since Jon wanted to add an additional 5 or 6 minutes originally but wasn't allowed to.
    StarChildSammy
    Iced Earth is for me one of the best Power Metal bands ever.This Album is my favourite from them.It's very great.The drums are just awesome, Richard Christy did a very good job on this album and Matt is at his best like always did.
    bear_bassist
    This is one of my favourite IE albums, next to burnt offerings. I personally dislike their new singer, and it is a shame that we lost Barlow from the metal community.
    K!d_MeTaL
    My fav. is night of the stormrider but this is definitaly my second favorite translavania and wolf kick pig's asses