Horror Show review by Iced Earth

• Released: Jun 26, 2001
Iced Earth: Horror Show

Iced Earth has a pretty unique sound. I'd probably describe them as a very thrashy power metal. They also have some elements of prog. This song being about horror requires a certain atmosphere to be created. In this particular album they do a good job giving a very sinister feel to the music. They do a very nice job knowing when to implement fast galloping riffs or a slow tempo doom metal sound.

I really like the idea of this album. Every song is about a classic horror story from Frankenstein to wolfman. Some songs do a very good job at conveying there message whereas others are very mediocre. I'd have have to say that overall it's pretty well written with just a few songs particularly standing out. I really enjoy the way they overlay voices over different music tracks to give the impression another character is speaking. Matt Barlow being the singer that he is doesn't seem to have much trouble really bringing these tracks to life.

I'm pretty familiar with Iced Earth, and I'd say that out of the albums I know I feel that "Horror Show" isn't Iced Earth's most impressive album, but one of their better works. I feel that the song "Frankenstein" probably shines out as one of the best this time around, and this is especially so if you're familiar with Mary Shelly's original story. I also very much enjoy "Ghost Of Freedom" and if I had to choose would probably list in as my favorite. With that said, this album is a very good metal album oriented toward those who enjoy listening to the story told in each track.

Dpullam
    Great album. My personal fav is Something Wicked This Way Comes though.